Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In Linux 6.5 May Bring A Cumulative Performance Improvement

Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 6.5 May Bring A Cumulative Performance Improvement

Bcachefs hopes to finally merge in Linux 6.5 while for those wanting a mature Linux file-system with all the bells and whistles, Btrfs is a good candidate worth considering. With Linux 6.5 there is a continuation of the recent Btrfs trend around performance improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wake me up when they merge and switch to the new on disk format.

Comment

Would be nice to see some benchmarks comparing XFS x EXT4 x F2FS x BTRFS x ZFS x BcacheFS on the upcoming linux 6.5.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Wake me up when they merge and switch to the new on disk format.
        block group tree has been available for a few releases, you need a btrfs-progs compiled with experimental to turn it on though.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

block group tree has been available for a few releases, you need a btrfs-progs compiled with experimental to turn it on though.
          I remember there was a working progress page for this, but cannot find it anymore.
          do you have any link?

Comment

The new on disk format is a must to get things like quotas+snapshots usable.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I remember there was a working progress page for this, but cannot find it anymore.
              do you have any link?
              check user visible changes here:

i think this is the page you were thinking of. This block group tree was split out from the larger extent v2 work, since it was ready to go, and gives much needed improvements. I'm really not sure what the state of this bigger effort is.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                The new on disk format is a must to get things like quotas+snapshots usable.
                my mount time went from 5 minutes to 5 seconds.. prior to that I had to keep increasing systemd timeout settings (DefaultTimeoutStartSec) to keep up with how bad it was.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

check user visible changes here:

i think this is the page you were thinking of. This block group tree was split out from the larger extent v2 work, since it was ready to go, and gives much needed improvements. I'm really not sure what the state of this bigger effort is.

https://josefbacik.github.io/kernel/...bal-roots.html
                  thank you!

the page I remebered was another one. Maybe was on github?
                  anyway these two links are very useful!

didn't know they already merged a lot.

Comment

So when should I switch from ext4 for my root partition, is the file system ready yet and is it SSD friendly in terms of the amount of writes compared to ext4?

Comment

Working...
                    X