LoongArch Adds Simultaneous Multi-Threading, SIMD/Vector Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoongArch Adds Simultaneous Multi-Threading, SIMD/Vector Extensions

Phoronix: LoongArch Adds Simultaneous Multi-Threading, SIMD/Vector Extensions

China's Loongson continues preparing the software support for their upcoming 3A6000 processors that will feature several new capabilities over their inaugural LoongArch-based 3A5000 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In a lot of things including CPU America Way of Success was minimum 50 years ahead of China and in some techs America was thinking that its advantage was even bigger. But something happens and America was behind.

In consumer area something is happening that in some ways China has still huge problems, but America's education in Chinese tech industry even due sanctions from industrial world has become some big problem, but that problem was huge and even before non-existent. I think that learning curve is something different and in America's education and practice skills needed in companies make a difference and when larger China's population even a city population taken in to account problem may make some De-javu in not only tech industry because a lot of things is happening in capitalist China and not so much in OECD...

Comment

Pretty cool they got SMT going. For a RISC architecture, every little bit to squeeze in more performance helps.

Comment

if the whole open world is sticking together and created the most amazing RISCV ISA, is there anyone to care about a proprietary Chinese MIPS fork? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9LCYt3hoc

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          if the whole open world is sticking together and created the most amazing RISCV ISA, is there anyone to care about a proprietary Chinese MIPS fork?
          Until that glorious day when my hoverboard is running a RISC-V chip, I am sure the Chinese market is quite happy with their inhouse chips. Personally I find it strange that more countries don't invest in domestic tech (other than it is sodding hard and China has quite an advantage here).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Until that glorious day when my hoverboard is running a RISC-V chip, I am sure the Chinese market is quite happy with their inhouse chips. Personally I find it strange that more countries don't invest in domestic tech (other than it is sodding hard and China has quite an advantage here).
            Fun fact: the number of Chinese devices with loongson are abysmal. Actually there are cosmetic CPU designs, US has AMD & Intel, UK has ARM etc. and RISCV leads to many dosmetic designs, too. It would be way more beneficial for China to re-use RISCV like Alibaba and their t-head daughter and others are doing. Even I have already two RISCV systems on my desk, and I'm jsut an unsuccessful, one man YouTube and Linux distribution developers, ... ;-)
            Last edited by rene; 30 June 2023, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I still don't get why Linus is allowing this "fill the kernel with bunch of crap and disappear"-ware in the tree. They can just distribute their own kernel with their out-of-tree CPU support, it's not like Chinese can access kernel.org, anyway.

Comment

i wouldn't mind to have a lappy running on that

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
                  In a lot of things including CPU America Way of Success was minimum 50 years ahead of China and in some techs America was thinking that its advantage was even bigger. But something happens and America was behind.

In consumer area something is happening that in some ways China has still huge problems, but America's education in Chinese tech industry even due sanctions from industrial world has become some big problem, but that problem was huge and even before non-existent. I think that learning curve is something different and in America's education and practice skills needed in companies make a difference and when larger China's population even a city population taken in to account problem may make some De-javu in not only tech industry because a lot of things is happening in capitalist China and not so much in OECD...
                  Yeah, everyone thinks sanctions are stopping countries from developing things themselves. But that's such BS. Even North Korea, one of the most sanctioned countries in the world, has their own Linux OS and even better: they have their own trollybuses! I mean, sure: they lack a few modern features, but the design, build and ride quality are very modern and from what I saw very smooth. So even with a few features lacking, that's quite an accomplishment for a DIY of such a relatively complicated thing as trolleybuses.

Comment

pretty cool,
                    It would be nice to know the performance of their simd extensions and also the efficiency of them, perf/w.
                    Loongson is a openarch too, and if their performance starts to be competitive, I would love to have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X