Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Adding Initial Support For USB4 v2, Intel Barlow Ridge

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Adding Initial Support For USB4 v2, Intel Barlow Ridge

Last year the USB4 v2.0 specification was published as the next iteration of the USB4 standard. USB4 v2 supports 80 Gbps transfer rates with USB Type-C active cables and the ability to handle up to 120 Gbps in one direction and 40 Gbps for the other direction. Intel is contributing initial support for USB4 v2 to the Linux 6.5 kernel along with initial enablement on their new Intel Barlow Ridge discrete controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

USB4 v2
    AAAAAaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhh 💀💀💀
    Last edited by RejectModernity; 03 July 2023, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

AAAAAaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhh 💀💀💀
      Let's just hope it's not "USB4.1 v2 Gen 2 x 2".
      Last edited by Monsterovich; 03 July 2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Just make it USB 5! Fuck.

Comment

I'd only hope Ethernet over it will possible, in more-less traditional way.

Comment

Sorry but the only standard worth waiting for is USB4.2 v3 gen 3.2

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              Sorry but the only standard worth waiting for is USB4.2 v3 gen 3.2
              You mean USB4.2 v5.2.1 Gen 4x4x4 Super Ultra Mega Light-speed 100Gps Free Download No Virus

Comment

gotta love the media

USBIF: Hey checkout this new spec, We are calling it USB Superspeed+ 20
                Media: thats cool but what's it's other name?
                USBIF: we are calling it usb Superspeed+ 20
                Media: ok, but what is its technical name?
                USBIF: we call it usb 3.2 gen2x2 internally but look, We even have nice superspeed+ 20 branding
                Media: USBIF just announced USB 3.2 gen 2x2
                USBIF: Wait a se-

Some time later
                USBIF: we realize superspeed was a lot to say, so we are revealing USB4 20gbps, USB4 40gbps, and in the future following those naming conventions USB3 80gbps
                Media: Announcing USB4 version 2

I dont blame the USBIF for confusing naming, it was never confusing to begin with. blame the media for not following the marketing naming that USBIF put out. Phoronix gets a pass since it is a tech focused oriented to quite tech literate. but normie media should be ashamed with themselves.

back to the article though. I'm still waiting for a USB4.0 addon card for my PC LOL

Comment

I want a magsafe version of usb type-c for charging controllers/mice/headphones/phones/tablets/laptops. would probably be good for keyboards too, cause 90% of my cables don't fit into the limited cable channels these keyboards have underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

You mean USB4.2 v5.2.1 Gen 4x4x4 Super Ultra Mega Light-speed 100Gps Free Download No Virus
                    USB4.2 v5.2.1 Gen 4x4x4 Super Ultra Mega Light-speed 100Gps Free Download No Virus The Movie The Video Game

Comment

Working...
                    X