Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 45 Alpha Released With Various Optimizations, Better Built-In Screen Recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 45 Alpha Released With Various Optimizations, Better Built-In Screen Recorder

Phoronix: GNOME 45 Alpha Released With Various Optimizations, Better Built-In Screen Recorder

It's already time for the first alpha release of the in-development GNOME 45 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: Liadwaita 1.4 alpha

Comment

No VVR patch. Sad

Comment

Half of Gnome apps are still GTK3. What is the reason, why is the transition so slow? And also why Gnome doesn't equalise the design between GTK3 and GTK4 apps? There is an inofficial libadwaita theme available for GTK3, why is it not made official?

Next year GTK5 will be released and half of core apps are still GTK3, Gimp is still GTK2. I don't know what Gnome developers think. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
          Half of Gnome apps are still GTK3. What is the reason, why is the transition so slow? And also why Gnome doesn't equalise the design between GTK3 and GTK4 apps? There is an inofficial libadwaita theme available for GTK3, why is it not made official?

Next year GTK5 will be released and half of core apps are still GTK3, Gimp is still GTK2. I don't know what Gnome developers think. 🤔
          I can only think Disk Utility and Evince that are still gtk3. Which other ones are there?

Comment

I think the time of monolithic desktop environment is over. I prefer a slim desktop shell and good flatpak support.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post

Everything costs money, that's why. Projects that have no funding at all, are barely alive, including Enlightenment and XFCE. The shit is quite complex and quite heavy for amateurs to contribute. We are not in the late 90s when we had GTK 1 and Qt 2, everything was rendered on the CPU, GPUs were basically toys only for primitive gaming.

Open Source may look like it's "free" only it's never been. Not in the sense of freedom (GPL), not in the sense of money (coding costs your time, your life, and living on Earth is not free except for people who inherit fortunes but those are rare).

Comment

Support of screen auto-roration currently broken on Wayland session for majority of 2-in-1 laptops since Mutter 40beta (see ticket #1686). Current workaround until the pushed fix upstream is running on screen-rotate extension.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post
                  I think the time of monolithic desktop environment is over. I prefer a slim desktop shell and good flatpak support.
                  Um, not sure what you're talking about. You sure you want GTK applications all bundled as flatpaks/snaps/whatever? Why? What does it solve? KDE and Gnome happily make new releases while some applications stay the same and receive no updates whatsoever.

The issues we are seeing are not down to bundling, they are down to complexity and funding constraints. Microsoft has tens of thousands of developers working on Windows.

The entire Gnome/GTK dev team is I guess fewer than 100 full time developers. The fact that we are seeing this much progress is already quite something. I remember Gnome 2 was developed at a glacial pace in comparison.
                  Last edited by avis; 06 July 2023, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

I can only think Disk Utility and Evince that are still gtk3. Which other ones are there?
                    Just ignore the troll

Comment

Working...
                    X