Imagination GPUs With PVR Vulkan + Zink Working Well For OpenGL 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination GPUs With PVR Vulkan + Zink Working Well For OpenGL 4.6

Phoronix: Imagination GPUs With PVR Vulkan + Zink Working Well For OpenGL 4.6

We've known since last year when Imagination published their open-source PowerVR Vulkan driver that they'd be focusing on a Vulkan hardware driver only and using the likes of the Zink compatibility layer for OpenGL support. Today Imagination formally announced OpenGL 4.6 for their GPUs via Zink...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice that Zink sees ever more widespread usage. This adds a lot of additional test cases and will hopefully also lead to further contributions and performance enhancements to the project. That a big company like Imageon deems the project production and enterprise ready already tells a lot about the insane achievement the Zink devs have accomplished.

Comment

Is there anyone left using Imagination GPUs? Their GPUs were top notch on iPhones but Apple went away to do their own thing (though apparently "Apple" GPUs are pretty much just Imagination GPUs anyways, so maybe Apple is still paying for licenses and whatnot). I never heard of a consumer product with Imagination GPUs outside of iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by espi View Post
        Is there anyone left using Imagination GPUs?
        A few Chinese dGPUs are rumored to use Imagination's IP. Probably the one in the news most lately is MooreThreads' S80, although I think they haven't ever publicly disclosed they're sourcing from Imagination.

Also, Imagination is now offering its own RISC-V cores + other IP blocks, in hopes of becoming a "one stop shop" for SoCs, like ARM.

Comment

Unisoc and Mediatek appear to have used PowerVR as recently as 2020: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Implementations

Obviously there could be other users.

Comment

Bastards. They never collaborated with opensource communities and always kept their drivers binary-only and now they profit (even) more from opensource work.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
              Unisoc and Mediatek appear to have used PowerVR as recently as 2020: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Implementations
              That's interesting, because I assumed MediaTek had switched completely over to Mali.

They've also been flirting with Nvidia... but I don't know if anything ever got released, based on that partnership. Maybe their partnership with Nvidia arose after they dumped PowerVR and they needed to find another second source to give them leverage in licensing negotiations with ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                Bastards. They never collaborated with opensource communities and always kept their drivers binary-only
                They're supposedly working on open source drivers. I'm not sure how that's going, though.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

can't wait to see this running on the mesa PVR driver

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  They're supposedly working on open source drivers. I'm not sure how that's going, though.
                  it's going great so far, 200 merged commits and and actively developed in mesa, as well as an open source kernel driver (to which I don't know the status)

EDIT:
                  Kern: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/frank...e/powervr-next
                  Mesa: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests?scope=all&state=opened&label_name[]=powervr
                  Last edited by Quackdoc; 06 July 2023, 11:06 AM. Reason: EDIT:2 fix mesa url

Comment

That’s the way to go.
                    Why bother using something else than Zink for gl ?

I hope they contribute in exchange though.

Comment

Working...
                    X