HarfBuzz 8.0 Released - Introduces Shaper For WebAssembly Within Font Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HarfBuzz 8.0 Released - Introduces Shaper For WebAssembly Within Font Files

Phoronix: HarfBuzz 8.0 Released - Introduces Shaper For WebAssembly Within Font Files

HarfBuzz 8.0 was released on Saturday as the newest feature release for this text shaping library used by many open-source software projects from GUI toolkits to desktop environments and other prominent applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bitmap font support would be nice imo.

Comment

A virtual machine......
      ....in the font rendering engine.

What.

Comment

Also, typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        HarfBuzz's new documentation around this WwebAssembly shaper explains:​

Comment

So will there be malware embedded in fonts now?

Comment

What i'm curious about is... What the hell do WASM and font rendering (oke, shaping to be precise) have anything todo with each other?
            In my, perhaps naive, thought the two are completely unrelated. Anything that renders fonts (including shaping) should run deep within internal browser libraries or be triggered from therein. In chrome that's is probably triggered inside the Skia library.

Now i can "get" it if WASM means that they optimize it with a set of assembly instructions comparable to wasm, but i don't get it if wasm actually means on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              What i'm curious about is... What the hell do WASM and font rendering (oke, shaping to be precise) have anything todo with each other?
              In my, perhaps naive, thought the two are completely unrelated. Anything that renders fonts (including shaping) should run deep within internal browser libraries or be triggered from therein. In chrome that's is probably triggered inside the Skia library.

Now i can "get" it if WASM means that they optimize it with a set of assembly instructions comparable to wasm, but i don't get it if wasm actually means on the web.
              fonts are able to influence shaping by packing metadata into the font. the knobs are not as flexible as if the font creator can understand the exact situation the font is in when in use. therefore this experiment from harfbuzz.

I hope distros compile this feature out (or I will), until there is some usage of this by windows/macos. I can imagine this being used for cache timing attacks, or worse, exfil/watermarks.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                A virtual machine......
                ....in the font rendering engine.

What.
                Didn't TrueType font hinting already have something like that? Wasn't that why, for a long time, Fedora's font rendering sucked unless you compiled your own for patent-related reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Yes and there will be a new font called Fontanyl.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    It's possible, which is sort of hilarious because lots applications have dependencies for it. I have known about stuff like this since about 2018 but at the time it had more to do with imperceptible stuff in images rendered on the web. Most distributions have security patches already applied concerning this engine/library. There is so much stuff out there though, that if discovered lots of people would have meltdowns over. Getting on the web is almost like taking a risk of endangerment traveling via roads and highways, hazards are always there of various types.

Comment

Working...
                    X