Mesa Lands Initial Open-Source Support For NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Lands Initial Open-Source Support For NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa Lands Initial Open-Source Support For NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 GPUs

While not too useful as limited to OpenGL-only and will perform extremely slowly until the NVIDIA GSP firmware support is sorted out for the Nouveau DRM kernel driver, merged today for Mesa 23.3-devel and marked for back-porting to Mesa 23.2 is initial NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 "Ada Lovelace" GPU support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a time to live in. I buy a new computer and install a Linux distro with mesa aaaaaaannnddd its done.

Comment

I should have mentioned that this was running GSP as GSP will be the only way we'll support Ada. GSP isn't merged yet, so this is just for getting the code out so users get OpenGL once the kernel support is there and don't have to wait as they did with Ampere.

Comment

Finally a proper driver for novidea pci-e dummy plugs

Comment

Originally posted by ntropy View Post
          What a time to live in. I buy a new computer and install a Linux distro with mesa aaaaaaannnddd its done.
          Dear Leader Jensen is happy with your loyalty.....

If the issue is CUDA, these devs should work in making ROCm better instead of wasting time on Ngreedia BS.

But no, lets keep bending over.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Dear Leader Jensen is happy with your loyalty.....

If the issue is CUDA, these devs should work in making ROCm better instead of wasting time on Ngreedia BS.

But no, lets keep bending over.
            use open source operating system. love open source software. bend over backwards for the most proprietary, vendor lockin hardware vendor out there, nvidia.
            >i use the the tool for the job!
            then you don't care about open source. but i'm sure nvidia and cuda fanboys will engage in massive mental gymnastics to bend over backwards why they love locking themselves down. this isn't a case of no alternatives. there are. this is a case were people just want to lick jensens shoes under the guise of "cuda just works better!"
            i can understand a video game. not much you can do there. but 3d graphics, yes there is.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
              I should have mentioned that this was running GSP as GSP will be the only way we'll support Ada. GSP isn't merged yet, so this is just for getting the code out so users get OpenGL once the kernel support is there and don't have to wait as they did with Ampere.
              Are there active preparations to merge Nvidia source code drop upstream or equivalent? Is work being done? Any plans? In Linus tree and such, of course.

Comment

It's nvk that I am eager to see.
                For gl support, zink will do much better than nouveau anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Are there active preparations to merge Nvidia source code drop upstream or equivalent? Is work being done? Any plans? In Linus tree and such, of course.
                  Nvidia's code drop won't ever be merged upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                    use open source operating system. love open source software. bend over backwards for the most proprietary, vendor lockin hardware vendor out there, nvidia.
                    >i use the the tool for the job!
                    then you don't care about open source. but i'm sure nvidia and cuda fanboys will engage in massive mental gymnastics to bend over backwards why they love locking themselves down. this isn't a case of no alternatives. there are. this is a case were people just want to lick jensens shoes under the guise of "cuda just works better!"
                    i can understand a video game. not much you can do there. but 3d graphics, yes there is.
                    You are utterly deluded if you think studios and software houses are going to throw away their million dollar CUDA-centered tools and workflows away just because some open source nut claims that alternatives are available.

Comment

Working...
                    X