No announcement yet.

MPV Player 0.36 Released With Wayland Fractional Scaling, Vulkan Video Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.36 Released With Wayland Fractional Scaling, Vulkan Video Decode

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.36 Released With Wayland Fractional Scaling, Vulkan Video Decode

MPV 0.36 is out today as the newest version of this open-source media player that was originally forked from the MPlayer/mplayer2 code and leveraging the FFmpeg library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, this project keeps putting out releases despite me and my 3 equally mentally ill Twitter friends deciding they were dead and #cancelled ages ago. I'm sorry but that is like, so not okay of them?

Comment

Michael QMPlay2 support Vulkan hardware decoding from long time. Now it is ported to Qt6 also. So I think worth to mention about it.

Comment

Nice! I wish Debian would sort out the shaderc mess so mpv would be able to use Vulkan for filters too.

Comment

Originally posted by justin_webb View Post
          Wow, this project keeps putting out releases despite me and my 3 equally mentally ill Twitter friends deciding they were dead and #cancelled ages ago. I'm sorry but that is like, so not okay of them?
          That seems to happen a lot in this area. I remember libav using sleazewords like deprecated, obsolete and abandoned when talking about ffmpeg. Some random drama happened and I recall Debian in particular taking the wrong side along with libav and avconv which was always a real pain in the butt. Glad to see that libav is no longer around.

Weirdly I agreed more with the goals of libav (stability and clean code rather than features) but disliked the way they went about it and tried to undermine the competition / upstream.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 23 July 2023, 03:02 PM.

Comment

For what reason? I thought mpv was very alive and had a large user base.

Comment

I cannot use mpv wayland until either gnome adds SSD or I switch from gnome-(s)hell. Gnome really sticking to their guns for no good reason (they support CSD for x11 apps).

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Michael QMPlay2 support Vulkan hardware decoding from long time. Now it is ported to Qt6 also. So I think worth to mention about it.
                I don't see vulkanvideo as an option in decoders in QMPlay2.

Comment

vulkan-video is neat, but for some reason it seems to be significant;y harder on the hwdec hardware, to the point where I cant even have two simultaneous streams using it. the dmabuf is also pretty nice for some very low end hardware.

the new tonemapping stuff mpv has been getting recently is quite nice, and IMO should be brought up, I no longer use bt.2446a, while it is still superior for really good mastered content IMO I am currently using the below for tonemapping, it handles poorly mastered HDR significantly better while still being quite good for well mastered HDR IMO.

Code:
                  [spline]
                  profile-restore=copy
                  tone-mapping=spline
                  gamut-mapping-mode=perceptual
                  hdr-compute-peak=yes
                  tone-mapping-mode=luma
                  hdr-contrast-recovery=0.5​

Comment

Didn't the situation improve once they kicked out the neo Nazi troll wm4?

Comment

Working...
                    X