No announcement yet.

Intel AVX10: Taking AVX-512 With More Features & Supporting It Across P/E Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel AVX10: Taking AVX-512 With More Features & Supporting It Across P/E Cores

Phoronix: Intel AVX10: Taking AVX-512 With More Features & Supporting It Across P/E Cores

Along with detailing Advanced Performance Extensions (APX), Intel as effectively a footnote to that also disclosed another exciting addition to find with future Intel CPUs: AVX10. Most notably for consumer use is that AVX10 will enable AVX-512 capabilities across both Performance and Efficient core designs with hybrid processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Arm and RISC V vector extensions support variable vector length without recompilation. Guessing that wouldn't work with E-cores?

Comment

Okay, so it looks like their client processors (and presumably server E-cores) will feature AVX-512 functionality, but limited to 256-bit registers. That helps. But, if it's not true variable-length, then they're going to have the problem that this AVX10 code won't gain an automatic speedup from being run on a core with natively 512-bit wide pipelines. That will ding the value proposition of their Xeon CPUs.

Meanwhile, if AMD sticks with its 256-bit wide implementation, it'll be cruisin' just fine with either flavor.

Comment

AVX involves capabilities really interesting.

Comment

That's some Microsoft-level versioning. 1, 2, 512, 10.

Comment

A Pale Moon developer started making AVX and AVX2 builds of the browser sometime last year, and I've been using them and enjoying the performance boost. I wonder if other browsers make use of this technology - I have a hard time finding anything discussing AVX/AVX2 in Firefox or Chrome, although it looks like Thorium browser is built to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              A Pale Moon developer started making AVX and AVX2 builds of the browser sometime last year, and I've been using them and enjoying the performance boost. I wonder if other browsers make use of this technology - I have a hard time finding anything discussing AVX/AVX2 in Firefox or Chrome, although it looks like Thorium browser is built to use it.
              Well, as you mentioned Thorium already, there are several other custom AVX/AVX2-enabled Chromium builds available. Maybe it is time for a browser shootout between these varios optimized builds against the official builds across a wide range of benchmarks to see how much it actually brings?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                That's some Microsoft-level versioning. 1, 2, 512, 10.
                I have heard of "new math" but this is...

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Well, as you mentioned Thorium already, there are several other custom AVX/AVX2-enabled Chromium builds available. Maybe it is time for a browser shootout between these varios optimized builds against the official builds across a wide range of benchmarks to see how much it actually brings?
                  These highly optimized Chromiums are very interesting, the older the CPU the greater the user-perceived improvement and the more advanced the CPU the greater the benchmarking improvement
                  Some people may have noticed recently that Firefox looks to be outperforming Chrome, but these are automated tests on ancient CI machines, for Tiger Lake/Zen3+ CPUs it's a completely different story.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I believe you're right. Browser shootout time! Let's go Michael.

Comment

Working...
                    X