Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 To Make It Easier To Enable Partial SMT For POWER

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 To Make It Easier To Enable Partial SMT For POWER

While Simultaneous Multi-Threading (SMT) on Intel/AMD x86_64 processors is limited to providing one additional thread per core, SMT on IBM POWER hardware can provide 4-way and even 8-way SMT for some processor models. With Linux 6.6 the /sys/devices/system/cpu/smt/control interface is being extended to allow greater control over managing partial SMT states in cases of the CPUs supporting more than 2-way SMT at Linux run-time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am wondering what kind of workloads really benefits from many-way SMT.

Comment

Why can POWER do 4-way and 8-way SMT but x86 only 2-way SMT?

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post
        I/O/network workloads, wasn't it? Reminds me of the SPARC T1 CPU back then.

Comment

Michael

Typo

Missing a space between words:

"forcing SMT on/offfrom user-space." should be "forcing SMT on/off from user-space."

Comment

Does this work differently than offlining the SMT CPUs?

Comment

Mixed server stuff like databases. It does not really help when you only do one kind of operation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Why can POWER do 4-way and 8-way SMT but x86 only 2-way SMT?
                Power CPUs have pretty much twice the amount of execution units per core. To keep them busy you need more threads with different workloads. Higher SMT counts to not help if you do not have the execution units to execute them.

On the other hand you get much more real x86-64 cores for the same amount of money and each x86-64 core is also faster on itself.
                Last edited by -MacNuke-; 03 August 2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

RAM heavy, cache miss heavy, low IPC loads like database stuff.

In these scenarios, the CPU is frequently twiddling its thumbs waiting for stuff from RAM. Higher levels of SMT give it more to do while waiting. It doesn't require a huge core either, Marvell briefly made modest 4-way SMT ARM CPUs for this purpose.

​​

Comment

Working...
                  X