Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics With Linux 6.6 Adds Tuning Knobs That Can Yield 10~15% Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics With Linux 6.6 Adds Tuning Knobs That Can Yield 10~15% Better Performance

Phoronix: Intel Graphics With Linux 6.6 Adds Tuning Knobs That Can Yield 10~15% Better Performance

With new i915 driver code ready for the upcoming Linux 6.6, new threshold tuning around the RPS (cited as both Render P-States and Requested Power States) for some Intel graphics hardware and in some games can yield around a 10~15% boost to performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this about the balance between CPU and iGPU TDP? I can't quite grasp what this is about. I would love to be able to manually set a balance value.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Is this about the balance between CPU and iGPU TDP? I can't quite grasp what this is about. I would love to be able to manually set a balance value.
      As per the older article Michael wrote (https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-...old-Linux-Tune) this appears to be about allowing changes to the threshold for how aggressively the Intel graphics hardware switches power states, or in other words how quickly the iGPU increases its clockspeed under load.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post
        or in other words how quickly the iGPU increases its clockspeed under load.
        Ah thanks, not a bad thing either.

Comment

If Intel isn't going to provide Linux graphics users with an easy to use GUI then you shouldn't call them tuning knobs because that's not what they are, they're more like jumpers and dip switches that you have to do crack open the hood and do some soldering in order to get the final result.

Knobs are effortless and self explanatory without the need to RTFM.

Comment

This is not meant for end users. Your OS would have a power management turning those knobs and you might tell it to optimize performance or battery life.

Comment

Working...
            X