Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.6 Will Be Able To Handle Temperature Reporting When Having More Than 32 DIMMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Will Be Able To Handle Temperature Reporting When Having More Than 32 DIMMs

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Will Be Able To Handle Temperature Reporting When Having More Than 32 DIMMs

The Linux kernel's "dimmtemp" driver allows for reporting memory temperatures with capable memory modules and when exposed by the Intel processor's PECI (Platform Environment Control Interface). Currently though the DIMM temperature driver is hard-coded to only allow reporting up to 32 DIMMs while a change queued for Linux 6.6 will extend that limit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

5 bit counters in this day and age... The mind merely boggles!

Comment

It feels like a crime not to reference XKCD#619 under posts like this....

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        If you actually looked at the patch you'd know that it's not about counters but bitmasks.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Huh? The code was using a 32-bit unsigned ints as bitmasks.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post
            It feels like a crime not to reference XKCD#619 under posts like this....
            So Linux can read the temperatures for 24TB of DDR5 in 196 DIMMS, but can show a single image with HDR output?

Comment

Good, this problem has bitten me so many times before... /s

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So Linux can read the temperatures for 24TB of DDR5 in 196 DIMMS, but can show a single image with HDR output?
                Developer time in big server farms for HDR is sorely lacking. That's not what they need, so that's not what they're working on.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Developer time in big server farms for HDR is sorely lacking. That's not what they need, so that's not what they're working on.
                  I know. It seems like HDR on Linux just Joshua Ashton and 5 other people; all of whom deserve many thanks.

Anyways, read the joke that I was replying to

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I know. It seems like HDR on Linux just Joshua Ashton and 5 other people; all of whom deserve many thanks.

Anyways, read the joke that I was replying to
                    O i c, I didn't click the link to xkcd 619.

Besides, I'm surprised to find out that it's like 5 people. I thought Valve had the only sole developer working on it. So that's great news!

Comment

Working...
                    X