Window Maker 0.96 Released For Window Manager Inspired By NeXTSTEP UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Maker 0.96 Released For Window Manager Inspired By NeXTSTEP UI

Phoronix: Window Maker 0.96 Released For Window Manager Inspired By NeXTSTEP UI

For those that have fond memories of the NeXTSTEP days and in particular its graphical user interface during the pre-Apple times, Window Maker 0.96 was released this weekend for that X11 window manager inspired by the NeXTSTEP GUI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry, I don't use the old, ancient, insecure X.Org!
    I use the modern, secure Wayland on my system.

They should port it to Wayland. But it looks super ugly!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Sorry, I don't use the old, ancient, insecure X.Org!
      I use the modern, secure Wayland on my system.

It looks fine to me. But it's not designed to be a 2023 DE, it's designed to be a 1990's DE. But yeah, they should port it to Wayland. Not just because Wayland is better (I'm a Wayland user, but I'm not the biggest fan), but because it's becoming the default in a lot of distros. So it makes sense to port it over.

Comment

A port to Wayland for desktops like this is needed. Sadly some will not receive it.

Comment

I was a college student in 1997 when this was first released. I remember switching to WindowMaker from FVWM, and thinking how slick and futuristic it looked! Slackware Linux ran great on my Pentium 133 with 32 MB of RAM and Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI card. Those were the days!

Comment

I also think a Wayland port would make sense. I'd like to see a complete but barebones Wayland-compatible DE.

Comment

ohh, Ill have to give this a try, looks good

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I agree with the Wayland part, but ugly is not the same as non-functional. While there is room for improvement the basic design is sound. It's clear and obvious where there is a submenu and what is a button etc... Stuff like this is totally gone in modern user interfaces where anything compact is confusing and overlays on top of things is considered a brilliant design. Not to mention that scrollbars are hidden so you have no idea that you can scroll
                .. if only the hidden scrollbar actually gave you a couple of extra pixels when it was hidden but that too is apparently to ugly for some.

People that design user interfaces these days should look back at the 90s where user interfaces was at least somewhat consistent as far as the basics goes... The best thing about windows was a ugly but consistent user interface. That went to hell with windows XP... It was then the "modern kids-toy" based user interface disease started all over the place.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

my first experience with linux was with PLD (now defunct RHL rolling-release variation) with WindowWmaker running some sort of virtual machine installing w2000 on it - I was captivated (by the linux and virtualization concept as well). happy times

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    A port to Wayland for desktops like this is needed. Sadly some will not receive it.
                    Why is it needed? Wayland is way worse than X11 for coding up window mangers and light desktops. X11 is not going away as much as the Wayland cultists would like you to believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X