Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Gets Hogwarts Legacy Running On Linux Driver By Pretending Not To Be Intel Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Gets Hogwarts Legacy Running On Linux Driver By Pretending Not To Be Intel Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Gets Hogwarts Legacy Running On Linux Driver By Pretending Not To Be Intel Graphics

Those running Intel Arc Graphics on Linux can now enjoy the Hogwarts Legacy game under Valve's Steam Play. Intel engineers were able to get this open-world action RPG game running on their open-source Vulkan driver by hiding the fact that Intel graphics were rendering this game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kinda sad to see that Intel's own XeSS upscaler still doesn't work with their own GPUs on Linux.

From the comparisons I saw done by Digital Foundry XeSS produced better results than AMD's FSR2, especially when using the code-path optimized for Intel's Arc GPUs.

However, both solutions still fall short compared to nVidia's DLSS 2, as expected...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      Kinda sad to see that Intel's own XeSS upscaler still doesn't work with their own GPUs on Linux.

From the comparisons I saw done by Digital Foundry XeSS produced better results than AMD's FSR2, especially when using the code-path optimized for Intel's Arc GPUs.

However, both solutions still fall short compared to nVidia's DLSS 2, as expected...
      Is there any upscaler that doesn't produce massive amounts of ghosting or shimmering? I know that when given the option, 4K scaled 75% (to 1440p) looks better and performs about the same when compared to FSR Quality or XeSS's equivalent setting from 4K. Both in-game FSR and CyberFSR.

They all kind of look like crap on a 6700 XT trying to get 2K up to 4K.

I feel lucky that I can push a 2K picture to my TV and it upscales it into 4K without any issues. You don't need DLSS/FSR/XeSSfully clean* when your display has a good enough hardware scaling solution.

*That's a throwback from when I was four years old so I doubt a lot of y'all will get that one.

Comment

1080p gaming FTW. Scaling? We don't need no stinkin scaling!

Comment

It is good to see Intel working on things like this. There is hope they will be as good a choice on Linux someday as AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I feel lucky that I can push a 2K picture to my TV and it upscales it into 4K without any issues. You don't need DLSS/FSR/XeSSfully clean* when your display has a good enough hardware scaling solution.
            Good it's working for you. But not every TV has a good upscaler (my LG has only the most ordinary bilinear) or it adds a lag.

Comment

Is there any upscaler that doesn't produce massive amounts of ghosting or shimmering?
              XeSS (XMX) and DLSS are very stable with minimal shimmering. Virtually no ghosting.

XeSS is different depending on whether you are running an Intel GPU (XMX) and AMD/NVidia GPUs (DP4A). When using Intel GPUs it does a really good job much like DLSS with ghosting. The following video explains it pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb53nUHV48I

There's another version where they look at performance of XeSS with Nvidia/AMD GPUs and it was worse than FSR in almost every way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFCd76eV0U

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Good it's working for you. But not every TV has a good upscaler (my LG has only the most ordinary bilinear) or it adds a lag.
                Like I said, I feel lucky.​

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

XeSS (XMX) and DLSS are very stable with minimal shimmering. Virtually no ghosting.

XeSS is different depending on whether you are running an Intel GPU (XMX) and AMD/NVidia GPUs (DP4A). When using Intel GPUs it does a really good job much like DLSS with ghosting. The following video explains it pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb53nUHV48I

There's another version where they look at performance of XeSS with Nvidia/AMD GPUs and it was worse than FSR in almost every way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFCd76eV0U
                That was my experience with XeSS on my AMD GPU. The performance hit wasn't worth it and, visually, neither it nor FSR outputted something that I'd consider an improved picture.

Because they're both open source and I like the concept of what they're trying to offer I really want both of them to succeed.

Comment

Because they're both open source and I like the concept of what they're trying to offer I really want both of them to succeed.
                  XeSS isn't open source - its source code isn't even available, as it's distributed in compiled form only.

Comment

Here's a crazy idea, play the game on Windows as it was designed from the beginning.

Linux users are so funny, they demand that the OS not only be open source but GPL, they demand the drivers be open source but they have no problem with the game itself being closed source / proprietary.

If you believe in open source so much then only use software that is open source and do not try to run closed source proprietary software on an open source OS.

I could not care any less about whether or not something is open source or not, i use what I consider the best option available. This is why i use software like AviDemux, Shotcut and Audacity on both Windows and Linux, because at their price point, 0 dollars, they can't be beat.

Comment

Working...
                    X