No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Changes For Supporting NVK Vulkan Submitted To DRM-Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Kernel Driver Changes For Supporting NVK Vulkan Submitted To DRM-Next

Phoronix: Nouveau Kernel Driver Changes For Supporting NVK Vulkan Submitted To DRM-Next

The Nouveau DRM kernel driver changes for new user-space APIs to be used by the Mesa NVK open-source Vulkan driver have now been submitted for pulling to DRM-Next from the current drm-misc-next queue. These Nouveau kernel driver additions for NVK in turn will then premiere with the upcoming Linux 6.6 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean Vulkan-only Wayland compositors are finally able to run on NVIDIA cards with Nouveau?

I want NVIDIA to allow reclocking already... NVK has potential.

Comment

What's impressive about NVK is that it's already on par with broadcom gpus' v3dv and this kinda makes me sad, because it takes so much time for panvk and pvr to become somewhat useful.

Comment

I hope reclocking for older GPUs somehow happens. I've got a Maxwell-based laptop that's been serving as a low-end system for my kiddo to use. Right now it's running Windows because it was pretty lame under Linux, but being able to use the GPU with a fully-functional Mesa driver would make it super useful as a Linux game box.

Comment

The GSP support may as well be a different kernel driver entirely seeing as it will be a hard compatibility break. Doesn’t seem to make sense to support two totally different subsystems within one driver.

Comment

About freaking time.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              The GSP support may as well be a different kernel driver entirely seeing as it will be a hard compatibility break.
              That is not what the developers said.

They are working on integrating the GSP, so nothing has to break. There even was a short video with NVK, under development, running a game with GSP formware. And it would be a shame to throw away months of work on the new micro-API in the nouveau kernel driver (that is now being merged for Linux 6.6), instead of keeping everything integrated.

Comment

The nouveau module is also missing an implementation for sensors (GPU load, temperature, power, frequency, VRAM usage, freq, temperature...)

Any plans to add that ?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                  I hope reclocking for older GPUs somehow happens.
                  At least in theory there should be nothing to prevent your contributions (or the contributions by others that you and others possibly fund) from eventually adding that support (although it will likely be somewhat different than the GSP reclocking support for newer GPUs).

The reality is that those who are funding the current work do not seem to expect support of such older GPUs to be of interest, and they are scratching the itches they (or their customers) have. Vintage hardware support is typically far more of a hobby, or a calling, than a revenue producing activity, and whether one likes it or not, Linux core development is now far more aligned with making money than for tinkerers contributing code.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                    I hope reclocking for older GPUs somehow happens. I've got a Maxwell-based laptop that's been serving as a low-end system for my kiddo to use. Right now it's running Windows because it was pretty lame under Linux, but being able to use the GPU with a fully-functional Mesa driver would make it super useful as a Linux game box.
                    "We currently support Turing (RTX 20XX and GTX 16XX) and later GPUs. We plan to eventually support hardware as far back as Kepler (GeForce 600 and 700 series) but those are currently poorly tested at best and missing a few essential features."

I interpret that as belief they will get the firmware / reclocking solved eventually going back to Kepler, as the cards would be unusably slow without it.

Comment

Working...
                    X