No announcement yet.

DRM Scheduler Patches Updated That Clear The Path For Merging Intel's Xe Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Scheduler Patches Updated That Clear The Path For Merging Intel's Xe Driver

Phoronix: DRM Scheduler Patches Updated That Clear The Path For Merging Intel's Xe Driver

Intel Arc Graphics customers have been eager to see the new Xe DRM kernel driver merged as a modern alternative to the long-standing i915 Direct Rendering Manager driver. The Xe driver should allow for better performance, is focused just on recent Intel graphics hardware, makes use of modern kernel features, and will allow for new features such as around the Vulkan sparse support. One of the blockers for getting the Xe driver merged at least in experimental form is getting the necessary DRM scheduler changes merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder whether this is more stable than i915.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      i wonder whether this is more stable than i915.
      only can said this

because actually i915 is more stable and xe stay in very wip state without forget require changes in kernel (in kernel changes can show some nasty bugs)

however xe could stay in better form in future, personally think around Q3 or Q4 of 2024

Last edited by pinguinpc; 11 August 2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Reminder that Arc Alchemist ("recent Intel graphics hardware", in my book) still won't be fully supported by the xe driver nor the i915 driver because eff early supporters.
        The huc doens't work on xe driver. I tried to change "i915.enable_guc=2 to xe.enable_guc=2" in cmdline, but it doesn’t work. Is the HUC loaded and enabled on XE?...

Comment

I have an A770 and been running Mainline or the Xe DRM Kernel.

Running i915 I get frequent crashes in games.
          Running Xe it doesn't crash, but it has other things broken like video encode doesn't work quite right.

Comment

I tell people to stay away from Intel Arc graphics now. Intel shouldn't have stabbed the first buyers in the back.

Comment

Someone care to fill in the rest of us about the backstabbing?

Comment

Working...
              X