Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Apps Now Support QOI Images, Plasma 6 Development Continues

Phoronix: KDE Apps Now Support QOI Images, Plasma 6 Development Continues

KDE developers continue to be quite busy working on Plasma 6 development and related enhancements to this popular open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have two questions this week: 1 related to the article, 1 about current KDE Wayland usage.

Will there a way to opt out of monochrome system tray icons? Or an alternative? Will that effect custom themes? I prefer colored icons due to dyslexia so I was hoping Plasma 6 would go in the opposite direction. The simpler it is, the more likely I am to flip it in my mind. Fortunately, pretty much everything in my tray stays in the same place so seeing it weird/off is learnable and able to be managed.

Does anyone know how to hide the Wayland OpenGL Renderer window? When it's just the one off game it's manageable, but when it's the game and associated tools you can have 3/5 of those windows...and I dislike auto window grouping so that isn't an option.

And to Humble-Brag: In the past few days I got the DX11 version of MSFS 2020 running on Linux with my VKB NXT stick and flight modules, Crosswind rudder, Orbx, and Opentrack head tracking (TrackIR+PS3 camera+floppy disk tape IR filter) in 4K Ultra 65% Rendering. It's so kick ass.

Comment

QOI seems what games needed a long time ago. Does anything beat it at decode/encode speed while producing similar compression?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        QOI seems what games needed a long time ago. Does anything beat it at decode/encode speed while producing similar compression?
        I was thinking the exact same thing. QOI seems like a great image format for games.

The QOI website claims 20-50x faster encoding and 3-4x faster decoding than PNG. No other file formats are mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I was thinking the exact same thing. QOI seems like a great image format for games.

The QOI website claims 20-50x faster encoding and 3-4x faster decoding than PNG. No other file formats are mentioned.
          Especially if tied to a good compressor since it can be larger than PNG uncompressed while compressing more. Look at their test images inside Ark and you'll quickly see what I mean. I suppose that means I'll need a GPU with more than 12GB of Vram due to the larger uncompressed images

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            floppy disk tape IR filter
            Mmm... it looks interesting, what is?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Especially if tied to a good compressor since it can be larger than PNG uncompressed while compressing more. Look at their test images inside Ark and you'll quickly see what I mean. I suppose that means I'll need a GPU with more than 12GB of Vram due to the larger uncompressed images
              l don't know what a compressor is, but I think both PNG and QOI are already compressed. Maybe you meant together with like ASTC and ETC2.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                Mmm... it looks interesting, what is?
                When you use a webcam for IR head tracking you have to remove the hotcolor filter (UV/IR blocking filter) from the camera's sensor and put an IR filter in its place to convert it into an IR capture camera. The tape of a floppy disk just happens to work as an IR filter so that's what I used.

I had no idea what I've been missing.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

l don't know what a compressor is, but I think both PNG and QOI are already compressed. Maybe you meant together with like ASTC and ETC2.
                  Like Zstd, XZ, GZip, etc. Most games store their assets inside various archive formats so the fact that QOI compresses smaller can mean smaller download sizes and less disk usage.

Zstd+QOI could mean smaller download sizes, less disk space used, and faster load times.

Comment

The gist of that screenshot is that PNG and QOI alternate in regards to which one has the best uncompressed file size while QOI nearly always compresses to the same size or smaller.

Comment

Working...
                    X