System76 COSMIC Desktop Ironing Out Support For Themes, Application API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 COSMIC Desktop Ironing Out Support For Themes, Application API

Phoronix: System76 COSMIC Desktop Ironing Out Support For Themes, Application API

While KDE developers are busy working on Plasma 6, System76's software developers are busy working on their new Rust-based "COSMIC" desktop environment. System76 on Friday published a new blog post outlining their efforts in recent weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I’m waiting for it like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      Me too

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        I'm waiting for it like a kid from a very Christian family waiting for the Easter Bunny.

Comment

It may be too early in development for this, but I'd love for someone from System76 to talk about plans for visual consistency when apps use other toolkits (which would be most of them basically forever). Will QT and GTK apps theme well and look coherent with the DE? KDE does a good job of this today, and I'm hoping COSMIC does too.

Comment

I was pretty skeptical when I heard they were trying to create a whole new desktop environment from scratch. I'm pretty happy to have my skepticism be proven wrong. Also great that they're using rust for this, which is pretty innovative in that space.

Comment

Themes or colorschemes?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                It may be too early in development for this, but I'd love for someone from System76 to talk about plans for visual consistency when apps use other toolkits (which would be most of them basically forever). Will QT and GTK apps theme well and look coherent with the DE? KDE does a good job of this today, and I'm hoping COSMIC does too.
                It's not the responsibility of a DE to make apps be consistent with its style, that's up to app developers and/or toolkit to choose to do.

KDE doesn't do a good job, it's impossible to make GTK apps feel like completely native apps, and likewise with KDE apps on GNOME (which is why Fedora is dropping the Adwaita Qt theme).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm waiting for it like a kid from a very Christian family waiting for the Easter Bunny.
                  Jesus, you made my day.

Comment

so, is it gtk or qt based? or something totally different?

Comment

Working...
                    X