Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Wiring Up DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.1 Support For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Wiring Up DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.1 Support For Linux

Last year the DisplayPort 2.1 specification was published and now Intel's open-source Linux engineers are working on adding support to the kernel for handling of the DisplayPort Alternate Mode 2.1 support for that DP operation over USB Type-C connections...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any monitors out there making use of DP v2? If not, how much do you think it will take for manufacturers to start selling them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dovi View Post
      Are there any monitors out there making use of DP v2? If not, how much do you think it will take for manufacturers to start selling them?
      I don't know about 2.0 but the next Samsung Neo G9 will have 2.1, coming August 23.

Comment

Michael

Typo "is needed ofr advertising" should be "is needed for advertising"

Comment

Very cool. I hope ALT-Mode and USB4 will get rid of the plug mess and we get USB-C for all connections like charger for mobile devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Dovi View Post
            They're supposed to be coming this year, with probably broader availability next year based on AMD's release announcement when they launched the 7900 XT/XTX

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

I don't know about 2.0 but the next Samsung Neo G9 will have 2.1, coming August 23.
              Displayport 2.1 and 2.0 are basically the same anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post

Displayport 2.1 and 2.0 are basically the same anyway.
                Indeed, they added cable certifications for the speeds that DP 2.0 can do and some other small stuff, I guess the industry waited for that. And maybe the lack of certification is why we didn't see many 2.0 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Indeed, they added cable certifications for the speeds that DP 2.0 can do and some other small stuff, I guess the industry waited for that. And maybe the lack of certification is why we didn't see many 2.0 monitors.
                  The global COVID pandemic and personal isolation killed the device certification and release timelines for displays and GPUs that would incorporate the latest DisplayPort tech. That's why so many stuck with older interfaces and features in GPUs and monitors and why few DP 2.0 products were released, as it takes 1-2 years after a revision to design and release new DP products. In order to get these new devices certified, the industry meets at certain locations - usually in Asia or Europe - on a regular basis and plays musical chairs with the unreleased monitors and GPUs, to ensure that the specs are met. Now, there are also conveniently located global testing centers - many in Asia, near the factories - where these things can get tested and certified by third-party techs.

Comment

Is it possible (in theory) to power monitors thru such a Type-C connection?

Comment

Working...
                    X