Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Finally Outperforming Google Chrome In SunSpider

Phoronix: Firefox Finally Outperforming Google Chrome In SunSpider

Mozilla developers are celebrating that they are now faster than Google Chrome with the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark, although that test has been superseded by the JetStream benchmark...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!
    I'm fine with performance actually, but I keep dreaming about a PWA comeback πŸ‘‰πŸ‘ˆ

Comment

The primary obstacle for many users in choosing Chrome over Firefox is performance. If Mozilla prioritizes the enhancement of Firefox's performance, it could potentially attract dissatisfied Chrome users.
      ​

Comment

Whelp, right, 2 benchmarks where Firefox competes with Chrome while trailing it in others sometime by a factor of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
          The primary obstacle for many users in choosing Chrome over Firefox is performance. If Mozilla prioritizes the enhancement of Firefox's performance, it could potentially attract dissatisfied Chrome users.
          ​
          Normal people don't look at browser benchmarks, they probably don't even know they exist. It's all about user experience, features and mindset. If something isn't working properly people switch the browser and Google did try to make it harder for Firefox with sites like YouTube.

Comment

​
            The primary obstacle is that Chrome doesn't suck like ie did back then. It is in a similar position being the de facto standard, and despite using Firefox myself and feeling like I'm not missing anything, I see very little arguments I could use with normal users to switch them over to Firefox.

Comment

This has zero end-user relevance.

Comment

99% of people won't even notice the performance difference between Firefox and Chrome. They use Chrome because Alphabet abuses its quasi-monopoly, like MS did with IE. IE was pretty bad so it was easy to convince them to change.

Comment

​
                  Not sure about what performance is talked about here. Firefox feels much faster on resource heavy applications like Grafana, Datadog, AWS, Jira and other similar things - thanks to WebRender I think. And that is visible even on 5950x. I don't need raw JS performance in browser if it fails to draw complex graph in a comfortable time.

Chrome got popular because of aggressive marketing almost trojan lvl campaign - it was included in installer of many Windows software (remember that checkboxes?) and even my 5-world country had those ads rolling on TV . Android also helped Chrome popularity. I've seen enough cases when user installs an app, it installs new default browser and they simply didn't care - all they needed were Facebook or Youtube.

Not gonna lie I would celebrate if Chrome looses half of its market share to Firefox. I just hate this dumb webview which has power to dictate harmful web standards.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

Not sure about what performance is talked about here. Firefox feels much faster on resource heavy applications like Grafana, Datadog, AWS, Jira and other similar things - thanks to WebRender I think. And that is visible even on 5950x. I don't need raw JS performance in browser if it fails to draw complex graph in a comfortable time.

Chrome got popular because of aggressive marketing almost trojan lvl campaign - it was included in installer of many Windows software (remember that checkboxes?) and even my 5-world country had those ads rolling on TV . Android also helped Chrome popularity. I've seen enough cases when user installs an app, it installs new default browser and they simply didn't care - all they needed were Facebook or Youtube.

Not gonna lie I would celebrate if Chrome looses half of its market share to Firefox. I just hate this dumb webview which has power to dictate harmful web standards.
                    On my 5900HX, Firefox is very unresponsive and/or laggy with 20-30 tabs open. And regarding RAM: I have 32 GB, of which I rarely use more than half. I don't have this issue with Falkon or Chromium.

And 20-30 seems reasonable, given that a lot of Phoronix users have 50+ tabs open…

Comment

Working...
                    X