Firefox 117 Beta 8 vs. Google Chrome 116 Linux Browser Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 117 Beta 8 vs. Google Chrome 116 Linux Browser Performance

Phoronix: Firefox 117 Beta 8 vs. Google Chrome 116 Linux Browser Performance

Given all the interest this week in Firefox outperforming Google Chrome in SunSpider, I decided to run some fresh Linux desktop web browser benchmarks on my end. For today's comparison is a look at the newly-released Chrome 116 up against Firefox 117b8 that will be released as stable in just over one week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In real life, Firefox is really good and deserves more active users and market share.

Currently : 180,079,400

It's sad while idk why it's declining : from 253 millions active user in 2019 to 180 million users in 2023
    Last edited by chromer; 18 August 2023, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Nice. Would be nice to see other benchmarks other than Selenium, though.

Comment

I always find these kinds of tests meh since it doesn't correlate to actual usage of a web browser.
        Many users have a lot of tabs opened and i can say that chrome is a lot more sluggish than firefox almost to the point that chrome becomes unusable.
        Chrome is so sluggish when opening different pages and switching between tabs compared to firefox, it's like chrome is made to win synthetic testing while firefox is for real life usage.
        That said i do see more an more webpages that not been tested with firefox and doesn't work fully, it's rare but they are out there and growing very slowly.

Comment

User privacy benchmark FF 100 chrome 0

Wait until Google turns browsers into DRM software and restricting ad blocking all together. If you continue using chrome/chromium/opera/edge and whatever they named chrome on PC, laptop or phones this is exactly what is going to happen. It's already planned https://stackdiary.com/web-environment-integrity/

I exclusively use FF for over a decade already. After FF quantum update it's very fast.

Comment

Mobile plugins;

chrome=no
            firefox=yes

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              Nice. Would be nice to see other benchmarks other than Selenium, though.
              Selenium is just the automated browser test driver used, it's not a benchmark itself. See each graph for all the common benchmarks used...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Selenium is just the automated browser test driver used, it's not a benchmark itself. See each graph for all the common benchmarks used...
                Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

All the Firefox performance improvements, that they talk about, are in nightly.
                  The Beta doesn't have any of those yet, the first will be shipped with 118 and some even later. Changes can be in nightly for a very long time before being approved for stable.
                  I would like to see the same benchmark, but with nightly.

Also i noticed that the performance is drastically affected by Extensions in firefox. I got 10% drops in speedometer 2.0 just by enabling a lightweight extension that is only active on a specific website.
                  So if we somehow could make a benchmark that shows the impact of extensions, that would be great. Maybe deciding for one or two common ones, installing them on all browsers and retesting?

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                    In real life, Firefox is really good and deserves more active users and market share.
                    The steady declining user base tells another story.
                    It's sad while idk why it's declining : from 253 millions active user in 2019 to 180 million users in 2023
                    I may know why, if you shit your users on the head every 2 weeks, there might come a time when they have enough.

They don't care about customizability or privacy anymore which were their best selling points. Instead they try to become chrome but chrome users already have their browser and it's much better at being chrome.

I'm currently testing waterfox (best UI, but noticeable slower in performance) and mercury (has the stupid addon puzzle icon but good otherwise).

Comment

Working...
                    X