Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Open-Source GPU Kernel Driver Above 5 Million Lines, Entire Linux Kernel At 34.8 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Source GPU Kernel Driver Above 5 Million Lines, Entire Linux Kernel At 34.8 Million

Phoronix: AMD Open-Source GPU Kernel Driver Above 5 Million Lines, Entire Linux Kernel At 34.8 Million

With the in-development Linux 6.6 kernel adding support for more upcoming Radeon graphics processors, that means more auto-generated header files for the new IP blocks... I was curious to see the overall size now of the AMDGPU kernel driver along with its associated code like the AMDKFD compute driver. It's now above 5 million lines for the kernel driver portion...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great to be able to compile amdgpu by architecture, for example CONFIG_AMDGPU_VEGA=m and remove the support for the rest of generations, it would save a lot of time for those who compile the kernel.​

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
      It would be great to be able to compile amdgpu by architecture, for example CONFIG_AMDGPU_VEGA=m and remove the support for the rest of generations, it would save a lot of time for those who compile the kernel.​
      It would even be greater if drivers were decoupled from the kernel and had their own release pace/schedule. This will make the kernel a ton leaner and easier to manage.

Nope, I'm dreaming, not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It would even be greater if drivers were decoupled from the kernel and had their own release pace/schedule. This will make the kernel a ton leaner and easier to manage.

Nope, I'm dreaming, not gonna happen.
        While it will definitely be a huge benefit for proper early driver support for new hardware (not having to wait for distros shipping the required kernel / firmware for new hardware), I would also not want Linux to have a driver situation similar to Windows, where it's a huge f**king mess. You get ancient drivers here and there because there is no proper straightforward way to update them, other than trying to hunt for them in the web. But like you said, without a stable kernel abi that's all just dreaming.

Comment

Size of tarballs (xz compression):
          Current Linux 6.5 from kernel.org: 132mb
          Current Linux-libre 6.5 from linux-libre.fsfla.org: 124mb
          Most recent (8-30-2023) Linux 4.19 from kernel.org: 102mb
          Most recent (8-16-2023) Linux-libre 4.19 from linux-libre.fsfla.org: 98mb

Makes for kind of an interesting comparison, although it's probably fairly meaningless. The oldest one I have access to in the xz tarball format is a 4.4 Linux-libre kernel from February 2022, which weighed in at 81mb.

Comment

Here you go: https://support.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              So funny, huh? Specially when you need to use new hardware and that's only possibly when running the latest kernel which also has criticial regressions which make it impossible to use it. So freaking funny. Here, enjoy this:

And this is such a common occurrence, yeah, you're right Windows users have got it right as their hardware just works. They are free to use whatever driver is available during the 10 or so years that a particular Windows release is supported. The luxury the Linux users have never heard about.

Originally posted by user1 View Post

While it will definitely be a huge benefit for proper early driver support for new hardware (not having to wait for distros shipping the required kernel / firmware for new hardware), I would also not want Linux to have a driver situation similar to Windows, where it's a huge f**king mess. You get ancient drivers here and there because there is no proper straightforward way to update them, other than trying to hunt for them in the web. But like you said, without a stable kernel abi that's all just dreaming.
              It's a mess for those who don't use Windows. The problem you're describing I last had maybe during Windows 8.1 life time.

Windows 10/11 nowadays install pretty much all the drivers automatically, including firmware updates. I have yet to come across a PC or laptop for which Windows 10/11 has failed to install drivers from WU.

It's funny to see ages old Windows myths being perpetuated again and again by people who don't use Windows.
              Last edited by avis; 31 August 2023, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Wouldn't part of that be solved by having a Linux driver repository?

Comment

I wonder where is going AMD with this approach, by this way in year 2030 we will have about 15 millions line of code of auto generated headers in kernel

Comment

Windows 10/11 nowadays install pretty much all the drivers automatically, including firmware updates. I have yet to come across a PC or laptop for which Windows 10/11 has failed to install drivers from WU.

It's funny to see ages old Windows myths being perpetuated again and again by people who don't use Windows.
                    Except if there is no driver for current windows versions.

Comment

Working...
                    X