Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 & KWin See More Performance Tuning This Week

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 & KWin See More Performance Tuning This Week

While leading up to a US holiday weekend, KDE developers haven't let up in their development activities around Plasma 6.0 and associated application work. KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his usual weekly development summary to outline all of the interesting changes for the week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And all of this respecting you, unlike other software (Microsoft is using malware-like pop-ups in Windows 11 to get people to ditch Google).

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      And all of this respecting you, unlike other software (Microsoft is using malware-like pop-ups in Windows 11 to get people to ditch Google).
      I also read this and Windows is getting shittier and shittier! My last Windows 10 VM experience was absolutely disgusting! Advertisements and pop ups everywhere and you can't even disable them!

Comment

Interesting, I wonder how the HDR -> SDR is handled, I presume no tonemapping? for thumbnails that would likely be fine. This also seems to convert any non sRGB to sRGB, so things like wide colorgamut would be converted too

Comment

I'd like to hear something about Kwin making progress on the explicit sync and Vulkan front.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I also read this and Windows is getting shittier and shittier! My last Windows 10 VM experience was absolutely disgusting! Advertisements and pop ups everywhere and you can't even disable them!
            Yes. Recent news about a similar behavior with Microsoft Edge:
            Microsoft Edge is starting to annoy me big time. This popup is shown when you access a Web page, randomly, and it is shown in the top right corner, as if you'd clicked the three-dot menu yourself. There is no close or X button, no way to dismiss this crap. The X button is ONLY shown inside the Settings menu:
            Short article slash rant discussing the Got it! button in a prompt for personalized Web experience in Microsoft Edge, covering user experience interruption, bad design, aggressive marketing, implicit decisions, other annoyances, and more
            Last edited by Nth_man; 03 September 2023, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
              And all of this respecting you, [...]
              I recently discovered that if one merely logs into a KDE Plasma session, later logging into a GNOME session results in the cursor & GTK themes chosen by the Plasma session. It turns out that the Plasma session modifies / creates persistent configuration files to force those themes. The motivation might have been to make GTK apps use the Plasma themes in a Plasma session, this is not an appropriate way to achieve that though.

Comment

KRunner is also now much faster than previously.
                Hopefully this means faster startup, the worst thing about this otherwise wonderful piece of software. Then again, they mention this specifically for System Settings. If they don't mention it for KRunner, it's probably not about startup

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  Interesting, I wonder how the HDR -> SDR is handled, I presume no tonemapping? for thumbnails that would likely be fine. This also seems to convert any non sRGB to sRGB, so things like wide colorgamut would be converted too
                  It literally says "converted to the sRGB color space", so yeah, it tonemaps.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It literally says "converted to the sRGB color space", so yeah, it tonemaps.
                    that doesn't imply tonemapping, tone mapping is a specific step, in between the inverse PQ/HLG and then applying the SRGB, you can do those two steps without tone mapping

Comment

Working...
                    X