Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd's All Systems Go Conference Returns Next Week

Phoronix: systemd's All Systems Go Conference Returns Next Week

After a hiatus due to the pandemic, systemd's All Systems Go conference is returning next week to Berlin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correction: while the conference has a wide range of tickets prices (starting at student/early at 40 euro, all the way to corporate/late at 400+ euro, with gratis tickets for speakers and volunteers), it is not free. I expect that the recordings will be made available for free, but the in-person experience is great and I highly recommend spending the time and money.

Comment

For those outside of Germany, I'll be writing about the slides and video recordings of the interesting presentations after the event.
      Every time I read about conferences and events on Phoronix it makes me wish that Michael had the time and/or money to go to these events to do in-person reporting, interviews, and get exclusive Phoronix content (photo/audio/video).

Comment

Microsoft talking about their image-based Linux deployments on Azure
        I'm truly shocked to see Microsoft taking center stage

At a systemd conference

With Lennart

Shocked I tell you.

Maybe this will be the venue where they announce the new "Systemsoft 11" name change for systemd. With Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Server editions. Available exclusively through the Microsoft Store. Starting at $199.99, or subscriptions for $10.99 per month.
        Last edited by andyprough; 06 September 2023, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Every time I read about conferences and events on Phoronix it makes me wish that Michael had the time and/or money to go to these events to do in-person reporting, interviews, and get exclusive Phoronix content (photo/audio/video).
          Let's start a fundraiser!

Comment

Imagine paying for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I have no idea how many reader Phoronix has and how much would it costs for Michael to attend, but if the donation is not too high I'd partecipate!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I'm truly shocked to see Microsoft taking center stage

At a systemd conference

With Lennart

Shocked I tell you.

Maybe this will be the venue where they announce the new "Systemsoft 11" name change for systemd. With Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Server editions. Available exclusively through the Microsoft Store. Starting at $199.99, or subscriptions for $10.99 per month.
                This is a very original, deep critique that I hadn't heard before. Presented beautifully as well. Really makes one think.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                  Imagine paying for that.
                  I have. Logistically, money is probably the easy part since that's just travel, lodging, and food. Assuming moderate accommodations, that's roughly $2K an event overseas; less when they're in America (local).

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

IMHO, assuming Phoronix brings in middle-class or better profits, it isn't money that's the issue. The issue would be the loss of manpower from doing actual Phoronix benchmarking work and taking care of his family. There's only so much that can be done remotely in regards to the kind of benchmarks Phoronix does and that kind of work would have to take a backseat every time there was in-field reporting. You can't switch a GPU or SSD when you're 500 miles away.

There are a lot of appreciable hours that go into all the reporting and benchmarking that Michael/Phoronix really does. Due to how much of it has to be done in-person, that throws a big logistical wrench into in-field reporting which also has to be done in-person. In-person work would then take away from benchmarking and extensive reporting which could potentially take away profits.

It's a big gamble and a lot of work for potentially no reward and a guaranteed loss of productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have. Logistically, money is probably the easy part since that's just travel, lodging, and food. Assuming moderate accommodations, that's roughly $2K an event overseas; less when they're in America (local).

IMHO, assuming Phoronix brings in middle-class or better profits, it isn't money that's the issue. The issue would be the loss of manpower from doing actual Phoronix benchmarking work and taking care of his family. There's only so much that can be done remotely in regards to the kind of benchmarks Phoronix does and that kind of work would have to take a backseat every time there was in-field reporting. You can't switch a GPU or SSD when you're 500 miles away.

There are a lot of appreciable hours that go into all the reporting and benchmarking that Michael/Phoronix really does. Due to how much of it has to be done in-person, that throws a big logistical wrench into in-field reporting which also has to be done in-person. In-person work would then take away from benchmarking and extensive reporting which could potentially take away profits.

It's a big gamble and a lot of work for potentially no reward and a guaranteed loss of productivity.
                    He can take his family with him. Taking care of them is hard regardless of this event, since he's writing for us 24/7.
                    And yes, benchmarking would take a backseat, but writing articles would not, as he would still write about the event.

Comment

Working...
                    X