Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter 45 Release Candidate Brings Meta Toolkit Library, Other Last Minute Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter 45 Release Candidate Brings Meta Toolkit Library, Other Last Minute Work

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter 45 Release Candidate Brings Meta Toolkit Library, Other Last Minute Work

The release candidates were tagged this morning of GNOME Shell and Mutter ahead of the "GNOME 45.rc" test release coming out within the next few days. With the release candidates are some last-minute changes worth mentioning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE 6 is going to launch with VRR and HDR before GNOME then, right?

Comment

i prefer stability - features are secundary - slow and slow it will grow.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
        i prefer stability - features are secundary - slow and slow it will grow.
        I like Xfce too

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          KDE 6 is going to launch with VRR and HDR before GNOME then, right?
          Seems to be the case thus far, at least the Wayland support is being actively worked on to superceed Xorg in 6.0

Comment

Semi-offtopic. And I'm sure nobody from Gnome, KDE and others are going to read me and even less to reply me. Whatever, I don't care.

In an ideal world, Meta Toolkit Library should be a framework shared and codeveloped by other toolkits and WMs/DEs. A bit like wlroots, but reused massively instead being a niche project so smaller projects able to adapt to Wayland.

FOSS these days has tons of code duplication, too few code reusability.

Latest research about code reusability in (F)OSS is from 2007, 2008 and 2010. They choose to use samples and surveys because not having enough resources to do a massive crawling research as in a web search engine but for source code.

I think there's need for an organization to impulse massive adoption of code reusability in FOSS, focusing then to make that reused code to have the best quality.

Initiatives such as Open Source Security Foundation should expand beyond server infrastructure and consider extreme promoting of code reusability to be essential. If not, this should be done by other organizations.

It's sarcastic that a lot less important stuff gets a lot more visibility than this. This is as worrisome as CLAs and other toxic stuff in FOSS, such as replacing GPL- compatible Free Software with BSD/MIT/ASF/BSL/MPL-like licenses.

Comment

I think you are fundamentally confusing that the Meta Toolkit Library is.

It is a new library, but my understanding is that it is grouping existing functions and calls to (afaik) clutter and cairo into one place, so that if/when mutter is ready to move on from cthe deprecated but internal copies of clutter and cairo, they can do it more easily than having to do surgery on the whole codebase.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Semi-offtopic. And I'm sure nobody from Gnome, KDE and others are going to read me and even less to reply me. Whatever, I don't care.

In an ideal world, Meta Toolkit Library should be a framework shared and codeveloped by other toolkits and WMs/DEs. A bit like wlroots, but reused massively instead being a niche project so smaller projects able to adapt to Wayland.

FOSS these days has tons of code duplication, too few code reusability.

Latest research about code reusability in (F)OSS is from 2007, 2008 and 2010. They choose to use samples and surveys because not having enough resources to do a massive crawling research as in a web search engine but for source code.

I think there's need for an organization to impulse massive adoption of code reusability in FOSS, focusing then to make that reused code to have the best quality.

Initiatives such as Open Source Security Foundation should expand beyond server infrastructure and consider extreme promoting of code reusability to be essential. If not, this should be done by other organizations.

It's sarcastic that a lot less important stuff gets a lot more visibility than this. This is as worrisome as CLAs and other toxic stuff in FOSS, such as replacing GPL- compatible Free Software with BSD/MIT/ASF/BSL/MPL-like licenses.
                I am sure if you submitted an MR with the port of Mutter to wlroots, the maintainers would consider you a hero. It is a resourcing issue, not a development problem. Mutter was built before wlroots came around. You can't expect 4 part-time developers to do it on their own. They are barely keeping up with Mutter as it is.

Comment

Same question as always. Did they finally merge support for fractional scaling in XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    I like Xfce too
                    I don't know what xfce is or does, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X