Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Lands Support For The Cirrus Logic CS42L43 Audio Codec

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Lands Support For The Cirrus Logic CS42L43 Audio Codec

In addition to the notable sound changes that merged last week for Linux 6.6 that included AMD VanGogh SOF support and enablement around a Valve "Galileo" device, sent in via the MFD pull request this week is work enabling the new Cirrus Logic CS42L43 audio codec...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

immersive audio to the PC market.
    What's so immersive about audio? It's just audio. ;p
    It's not like this needs marketing as it's nothing more than a buffered DAC. Something that has existed in personal computers since the Amiga days.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 07 September 2023, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• 6.8 W @ 1% THD+N into 8 Ω
      • -79 dB THD+N @ 1 W into 8 Ω
      ​Seems actually usable with headphones, such as the venerable Sennheiser HD600.

Now, some implementation would need to get the measurement treatment. I doubt it will compare to my standard recommendation Topping DX3 Pro+, but it should be serviceable, unlike computer outputs have been so far.

edit: Nevermind, it's aimed at speakers built into phones specifically. Phones with no headphone jack.
      Last edited by ayumu; 08 September 2023, 05:32 PM. Reason: speakers

Comment

Wow, TIL Cirrus Logic is still around. They used to make chips for graphics cards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus...aphics_history

Seems they exited the graphics market and pivoted to audio and DSP chips.

Comment

my (ex-)z13 also uses some cirrus logic sound chip and its was just a pain with linux. this and the soldered qualcom wifi made me dump the z13 for good.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
            Wow, TIL Cirrus Logic is still around. They used to make chips for graphics cards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus...aphics_history

Seems they exited the graphics market and pivoted to audio and DSP chips.
            Yeah I also was surprised by this. Probably been 20 years since I've seen a Cirrus Logic chip.

Comment

Working...
            X