Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Frameworks 6 & Qt6'ed Gear Apps Will Release Alongside Plasma 6.0 In February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 6 & Qt6'ed Gear Apps Will Release Alongside Plasma 6.0 In February

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 6 & Qt6'ed Gear Apps Will Release Alongside Plasma 6.0 In February

Going along with KDE Plasma 6.0 releasing in early February will also be the Qt6-based KDE Gear applications and KDE Frameworks 6 happening in-sync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Odd to see that this patch isn't already merged for KDE 6, given the shift to Wayland.

The KDE Plasma experience with Wayland has reached a level of maturity where it makes sense to switch it to the default session. This merge request...

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
      Odd to see that this patch isn't already merged for KDE 6, given the shift to Wayland.
      The truth is that Wayland is great but is not ready yet, Xorg is old but stable.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...requests/2188/
        The MR probably needs some cleanup, there's a shit ton of changes comparing to master for some reason.

Comment

> KDE Frameworks 6 & Qt6'ed Gear Apps Will Release Alongside Plasma 6.0 In February

This is still up for discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post

The truth is that Wayland is great but is not ready yet, Xorg is old but stable.
            It's rather the opposite. Wayland is ready. But it is a big change after many years. That's how long it takes for the others to prepare as well. Are you confusing Wayland with the DE side protocol implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
              It's rather the opposite. Wayland is ready. But it is a big change after many years. That's how long it takes for the others to prepare as well. Are you confusing Wayland with the DE side protocol implementation?
              When we talk about readiness of something like wayland, it's not just wayland itself, it's everything we use daily , from complex softwares like Chrome/Chromium to every other feature that is based on protocol.

Chrome/Chromium has lots of lack in wayland : No Vulkan, No Video Acceleration, many issues to address
              (And All of important electron-based apps like: Teams, Skype, Slack, Discord etc)

I'm aware of presence of xwayland.

I did so many tests with the apps i'm using daily driver, many bugs found under wayland session which need to be addressed.

Currently i stick to xorg until a mature Wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post

When we talk about readiness of something like wayland, it's not just wayland itself, it's everything we use daily , from complex softwares like Chrome/Chromium to every other feature that is based on protocol.

Chrome/Chromium has lots of lack in wayland : No Vulkan, No Video Acceleration, many issues to address
                (And All of important electron-based apps like: Teams, Skype, Slack, Discord etc)

I'm aware of presence of xwayland.

I did so many tests with the apps i'm using daily driver, many bugs found under wayland session which need to be addressed.

Currently i stick to xorg until a mature Wayland session.
                Clearly. So it's best to take a look. I personally don't have much experience with it, but I tried it with GNOME, Firefox and games and movies. My current DE does not support Wayland. Yet.​

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

Strictly speaking, Wayland is just a protocol, a specification. It has about zero value without proper implementations. Because it chose to be so radical, it can't get away with one implementation, like X, it needs everyone to rewrite their compositors pretty much from scratch. It's over 10 years in the making and it's still debatable whether switching is a net gain. I will probably give it another try when KDE6 releases, but I'm not holding my breath. If it works, I'll consider that a nice surprise. If it doesn't, more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Strictly speaking, Wayland is just a protocol, a specification. It has about zero value without proper implementations. Because it chose to be so radical, it can't get away with one implementation, like X, it needs everyone to rewrite their compositors pretty much from scratch. It's over 10 years in the making and it's still debatable whether switching is a net gain. I will probably give it another try when KDE6 releases, but I'm not holding my breath. If it works, I'll consider that a nice surprise. If it doesn't, more of the same.
                    GNOME has been working with Wayland for years. I wouldn't worry about KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X