Linux Driver Preparing Support For ASUS Screenpad On High-End Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Driver Preparing Support For ASUS Screenpad On High-End Laptops

Phoronix: Linux Driver Preparing Support For ASUS Screenpad On High-End Laptops

In addition to the ASUS laptop improvements for Linux 6.6 with the ASUS-WMI driver, additional feature work is on the way for future kernel versions with one of those interesting additions being support for the ASUS Screenpad. Some higher-end ASUS laptops feature a secondary screen "screenpad" on the laptops and the pending ASUS-WMI driver patch will properly support it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That thing in the photo look super awkward to me, what with the keyboard ending up on the very edge and there being virtually no palm rest.

I can't imagine using that as anything except a desktop replacement. Absolutely not usable where space is at a premium, such as on an airplane for example.

Comment

are there any apps that use these (also those from previous articles) drivers?
      also i'm not complaing, i'm really curious if there are apps to allow the use of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        are there any apps that use these (also those from previous articles) drivers?
        also i'm not complaing, i'm really curious if there are apps to allow the use of hardware.
        The author of the asus-wmi changes is also the author of: https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/asusctl

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          That thing in the photo look super awkward to me, what with the keyboard ending up on the very edge and there being virtually no palm rest.

I can't imagine using that as anything except a desktop replacement. Absolutely not usable where space is at a premium, such as on an airplane for example.
          No one takes these types of laptops (nearly 6 lbs) on airplanes unless they're severely masochistic. You can't put them on your lap. You can't realistically use them on aircraft (size, weight, heat, battery life is awful). You can't use them inside a vehicle for the same reasons. They'll practically tear up your back if you lug them around a college campus. They're there to look "cool" when you plop one down on a desk with a plug nearby and a cooler underneath. They're for teens and early tweens who want bling. It's another PC where the OEM is trying to throw designs at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Although I'm not sure this is even a good desktop replacement. Heat usually makes gaming laptop keyboards near unusable, so what do you do with a screen you can't actually see because you need to sit back far enough to add an external keyboard and mouse (cuz no one games with those awful trackpads when you already have to add a keyboard). Heat dissipation issues also make the laptop slower than its desktop equivalent because performance has to be gimped to keep the system from overheating, not to mention gaming laptops sound like jets taking off. I know. I own one. I only take it with me when I know I'm going to be someplace for over a week with access to AC power. Cuz it'll kill its battery inside 90 minutes with even a light game.

(To be clear, I'm agreeing, just being more verbose with my reasoning.)
          Last edited by stormcrow; 09 September 2023, 03:37 AM.

Comment

As someone with multiple disabilities I would love this thing on a laptop arm mounted off the side of my bed and/or sofa for the really bad days.

GNOME + gesture support via stylus + touch keyboard = yes please

Comment

Working...
            X