GNOME 45.rc Brings GDM Wayland Multi-Seat, More libadwaita Adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 45.rc Brings GDM Wayland Multi-Seat, More libadwaita Adoption

Phoronix: GNOME 45.rc Brings GDM Wayland Multi-Seat, More libadwaita Adoption

The GNOME 45 release candidate is now available for testing ahead of the desktop's stable release later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the famous ubuntu patch is not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
      So the famous ubuntu patch is not there yet.
      You mean triple buffering? I have a discrete AMD GPU and tried it on Debian 12 which supposedly ships it. I've noticed literally zero difference between having this patch and not having it. I mean, in order to make Gnome animations 100% smooth, I still need to set the power profile to "performance". It's not that Gnome is laggy on "balanced" power profile, it's just there are still some random microstutters regardless if I have this patch or not. Maybe like others were saying, it brings a huge difference only on Intel iGPU's or other low end integrated graphics, or am I missing something?

Comment

I always have it set to performance mode as well.
        Its nice that the toggle is in the upper right quick menu.

Comment

So what kind of multi seat is this? Zaphod multi head, with multiple separate sessions on a single GPU (what I would want), or only with multiple GPUs (what I expect, with systems integration), or Wayland seats with multiple cursors? Or a combination?

Comment

Does 'Wayland multi-seat' mean I can build a GNOME 'terminal server' that accelerates graphics locally and shoots the VNC or RDP over the network? I feel like that's a pretty basic thing that servers should do that's been hard to accomplish under Linux. Sure, X11 could do it, but it was awful to push modern screens across the network compared to Windows' RDP.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

You mean triple buffering? I have a discrete AMD GPU and tried it on Debian 12 which supposedly ships it. I've noticed literally zero difference between having this patch and not having it.
              Maybe like others were saying, it brings a huge difference only on Intel iGPU's or other low end integrated graphics, or am I missing something?
              Anything dealing with input latency, frame-time-variance, refresh rates, and screen tearing are going to be HIGHLY subjective. Personally, I'm extremely sensitive to lower refresh rates and input latency. I'm not one of those genetic anomalies with reflexes able to take advantage of a 300hz display, but around 120hz is a noticeably better experience for me on a display with proper gray-to-gray response times.

Triple buffering is going to make things less jittery (smaller frame-time-variance) for some at the expense of potentially increased input-latency, due to the few extra buffered frames. Some may notice the jitter more, others will suffer from the input latency more, and others such as yourself will not see a difference.

Comment

Maybe i finally can try Watland on my othet seat now. Wife and I share the coomputer.

Comment

Originally posted by Healer_LFG View Post
                  Anything dealing with input latency, frame-time-variance, refresh rates, and screen tearing are going to be HIGHLY subjective. Personally, I'm extremely sensitive to lower refresh rates and input latency. I'm not one of those genetic anomalies with reflexes able to take advantage of a 300hz display, but around 120hz is a noticeably better experience for me on a display with proper gray-to-gray response times.

Triple buffering is going to make things less jittery (smaller frame-time-variance) for some at the expense of potentially increased input-latency, due to the few extra buffered frames. Some may notice the jitter more, others will suffer from the input latency more, and others such as yourself will not see a difference.
                  Noticing the improvement from 120 Hz over 60 Hz is not subjective, it's a fact. Anyone with normal functioning eyesight would notice it even on smaller displays let alone on a huge screen. I would even call 60 Hz jittery under any conditions, so the benefit from triple buffering would probably be minuscule.

Sorry but I am too lazy, but I would kind of want to know what kind of metrics the triple buffer lobbyists have used for measuring the benefit, because simply expecting to see change usually leads the mind to fool the eye that there's a change even when there isn't it. Proving the benefit needs more than just "I think I saw it so it must be real".

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    So what kind of multi seat is this? Zaphod multi head, with multiple separate sessions on a single GPU (what I would want), or only with multiple GPUs (what I expect, with systems integration), or Wayland seats with multiple cursors? Or a combination?
                    I guess separate login screens for different GPUs or VNC sessions. Sharing the heads of the same GPU requires more effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X