No announcement yet.

Qt 6.6 Wayland Compositor Handoffs Look Promising For More Robust Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.6 Wayland Compositor Handoffs Look Promising For More Robust Experience

Phoronix: Qt 6.6 Wayland Compositor Handoffs Look Promising For More Robust Experience

KDE developer David Edmundson has written an interesting blog post looking at robustness improvements coming with Qt 6.6 via QtWayland compositor handoffs support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I vaguely remember the feature was first offered and demonstrated over a year ago, are they still hacking it? That's weird.

Comment

Since Enlightenment17 I missed this feature in my window managers.

Comment

Every release has a killer feature. Qt 6.6 features the opposite - staying alive.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Every release has a killer feature. Qt 6.6 features the opposite - staying alive.

-----

Comment

Wth, so to make Wayland work, Kwin is not enough and another compositor in Qt is needed?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Wth, so to make Wayland work, Kwin is not enough and another compositor in Qt is needed?
              I read "new compositor" as a new Kwin instance in the event that an old one crashes. I think all this work makes the migration smoother when Kwin crashes and we need a brand new Kwin instance to migrate to.

Comment

No, the titles says about feature implemented in Qt 6.6 called Wayland Compositor Handoffs, that makes Qt6 Wayland clients not die when the compositor is being killed/crashes. Instead they reconnect to a newly started compositor instance - as the video demonstrates. The feature was actually proposed and PoC was presented quite a lot of time ago, but it wasn't universally praised. GNOME/GTK devs (ahh, because who but them) said they don't want that, it's pointless and instead KDE devs should make their compositor to not crash.

Comment

I think you severely misread how it works. Basically there is now a tiny binary that restarts kwin in case it crashed. The changes in QT are needed so applications know to reconnect in case the compositor crashed. That's it.

Like mentioned in the blog post, this is less lines of code than was needed to get middle-click paste to work.

Comment

I recommend everyone reading the complete blog post. There are even cooler features enabled by this than just surviving a crash of the compositor:

Runtime switching between different compositors:
                    In the video we can see applications seamlessly move between Plasma, Gnome, Weston, Hyprland and Sway as part of the wayland robustness project.

Saving and completely restoring graphical (all?!) programs to disk and resuming:

Makes me think of the first 12 seconds of this:
                    Taken from The Miracle, 1989Remastered in HD. 35mm film 4K scanning by Simon Marbrook at Final Frame. Conform editing by Chris Frankland. Restoration by Luke...

Comment

Working...
                    X