No announcement yet.

Coreboot-Based Dasharo Updated For MSI Z690-A With Raptor Lake S, MSI FLASHBIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot-Based Dasharo Updated For MSI Z690-A With Raptor Lake S, MSI FLASHBIOS

Phoronix: Coreboot-Based Dasharo Updated For MSI Z690-A With Raptor Lake S, MSI FLASHBIOS

The firmware folks at 3mdeb have released Dasharo 1.1.2 for the MSI PRO Z690-A motherboard. In case you missed it, last year 3mdeb ported Coreboot/Dasharo to select MSI desktop motherboards that are readily available in retail channels and supporting the latest Intel processors. This started with the MSI PRO Z690-A and since extended to the Z790 series. 3mdeb has released an updated Dasharo build with some new features for replacing the proprietary BIOS on these motherboards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix thank you for your support. As always, I'm here to answer any question from the wonderful Phoronix Community.

P.S. For those who would like to talk with us live, we are doing quarterly Dasharo Developers vPub on 28th Sep 2023: https://vpub.dasharo.com/e/8/dasharo-user-group-3
    twitter | linkedin

Comment

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, i had no idea such a project even exists. Everyone always downplays coreboot to be irrelevant to desktop users. I have a perfect fine working PC currently, but i immediately got the temptation to look for a new motherboard.

Question: why is this strictly limited to some boards. I have a MSI x570 board now, can support for this be expected soon?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Thank you for bringing this to my attention, i had no idea such a project even exists. Everyone always downplays coreboot to be irrelevant to desktop users. I have a perfect fine working PC currently, but i immediately got the temptation to look for a new motherboard.
        We are very happy it brought to your attention. We want to change the conventional wisdom about coreboot, but we need a real product that can be better over time than any competition. First, in some niches, we hope to expand our reach and hope for BIOS ecosystem disruption. That is were the idea of Dasharo came from.

Question: why is this strictly limited to some boards. I have a MSI x570 board now, can support for this be expected soon?
        It's not impossible, but it's also not an easy thing. Every mainboard is different. Of course, the more hardware we support, the more possible configurations we cover, but we can't cover every potential variation for a given chipset. Mainly because that requires a lot of resources, access to schematics, and, most importantly, validation, which can be very expensive. We get questions similar to yours very often, and because of that, I have some links at hand: Dasharo FAQ
        twitter | linkedin

Comment

Thank you for your effort, and as i said in my previous post i am tempted to buy a new motherboard just to test this out. But sadly for now i will monitor it and see if more people find success using it before i jump in.

Comment

Thank you for your effort, and as i said in my previous post i am tempted to buy a new motherboard just to test this out. But sadly for now i will monitor it and see if more people find success using it before i jump in.
            Sure, please check our social media channels and stories related to Dasharo there are already quite a lot of those. On Matrix we have almost two hundred community members, so feel free to tune in to our communities.
            twitter | linkedin

Comment

These are so cool, I want one badly. Maybe for my Christmas present this year ...

Comment

Michael

typo (extra word)

"It's a real treat for supporting latest-generation processors, the newest desktop features, and being motherboards that are readily available in retail channels without a significant cost premium compared to other choices like say the POWER-based Raptor systems." Probably just remove the word "being"

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                  Michael

typo (extra word)

"It's a real treat for supporting latest-generation processors, the newest desktop features, and being motherboards that are readily available in retail channels without a significant cost premium compared to other choices like say the POWER-based Raptor systems." Probably just remove the word "being"
                  Thanks as always
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have a Z790-P. I would like to extract the Intel firmware from my BIOS and compile the source code myself using my own home-compiled compiler/linker, in a way I can get a bit-for-bit identical reproduction of the official Dasharo binaries (ie, I do not wish to trust myself, Dasharo's builders, or even a Docker/equivalent distro). Is this supported? If I buy the Dasharo subscription thing, would I be able to get help if I encounter problems? (Preferably on a platform that doesn't demand private info or closed-source binaries to use - ie not Telegram)

Comment

Working...
                    X