Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10's Firefox Snap Enabling Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10's Firefox Snap Enabling Wayland By Default

While the Ubuntu desktop has been using the GNOME Wayland session by default, Ubuntu's default Firefox browser build within its Snap confinements has continued relying upon XWayland. But the Firefox Snap beginning with Ubuntu 23.10 is now enabling the native Wayland support by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I only one here around who is ignoring Ubuntu just because they force feed us with Snap by replacing some important packages?

Comment

How does the Snap version of Firefox compare to the Flathub version? Any benefits from changing to that instead?

(Edit: Please don't devolve this thread into a Snap vs. Flatpak discussion. My question is specifically on the actual differences between the Firefox Snap version versus the Firefox Flathub version. Thanks! )
      Last edited by Veto; 16 September 2023, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
        How does the snap version of Firefox compare to the Flathub version? Any benefits from changing to that instead?
        Probably not, though also maybe. Snap USED to have a bigger performance deficit when directly compared to Flatpak but they have been working on that. The other reasons to use one over the other are political really: do you like the way Snaps are hardcoded to be distributed by one single entity or not. However at that point its also worth considering if you want to stay using Ubuntu as theyre clearly moving towards snap everything and snap only.

Comment

I wonder if that means they have/will fix the bug where both Firefox and Thunderbird Wayland windows open in the wrong size with fractional scaling on. It's been a constant annoyance for me for what seems like years now.

Comment

I've been using Firefox Wayland for two years already. Zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Doe View Post
              Am I only one here around who is ignoring Ubuntu just because they force feed us with Snap by replacing some important packages?
              You are not the only one. I stopped using Ubuntu altogether for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Doe View Post
                I use Ubuntu on my servers and there it just doesn't matter if some stuff is Snap or not. In fact, for some things Snaps are easier and more reliable than setting everything up and keepin it up-to-date manually. On the desktop my experience with Snaps is abysmal, but then again, I don't use Linux on the desktop and only use it for the occasional thing in a VM, so whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  How does the Snap version of Firefox compare to the Flathub version? Any benefits from changing to that instead?

(Edit: Please don't devolve this thread into a Snap vs. Flatpak discussion. My question is specifically on the actual differences between the Firefox Snap version versus the Firefox Flathub version. Thanks! )
                  Both are maintained directly by Mozilla, so any difference between the two boils down to a difference between snap and flatpak. That said, I wouldn't expect major differences, and Ubuntu probably just uses the snap version because snap is maintained by Canonical as well.

Comment

Snap sucks. Please boycott anything from Canonical and fork it if you feel it deserves to.

Canonical sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X