No announcement yet.

The Maintainer Of The NVIDIA Open-Source "Nouveau" Linux Kernel Driver Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maintainer Of The NVIDIA Open-Source "Nouveau" Linux Kernel Driver Resigns

Phoronix: The Maintainer Of The NVIDIA Open-Source "Nouveau" Linux Kernel Driver Resigns

Hours after posting a large patch series for enabling the Nouveau kernel driver to use NVIDIA's GSP for improving the support for RTX 20/30 series hardware and finally enabling accelerated graphics support on RTX 40 "Ada Lovelace" GPUs, the Red Hat maintainer has resigned from his duties...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully the future of the NVIDIA GPU kernel is well. Ideally we would see NVIDIA upstream their own kernel driver they themselves will maintain and we then have userland with possible third party drivers

Comment

Welp, at least there has always been absolutely excellent out of tree support. That should stick around for a while given the company backing it.

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work, Ben. It was an uphill battle, I'm sure.

I hope NVK and Zink can handle the userland end soon. It certainly seems like a promising path for achieving a complete graphics stack going forward.

Comment

I wonder why RedHat would burn money on something like this when nVidia itself has done nothing but crap all over libre software efforts over the years.

Strange. Anyway, hat tip to Ben, he's quite a trooper.

Comment

NO!!! Now Nouveau users will have to switch to fully functional, complete, official Nvidia driver and finally make full use of their hardware.

Oh, the humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              NO!!! Now Nouveau users will have to switch to fully functional, complete, official Nvidia driver and finally make full use of their hardware.
              You mean like "nvidia-470" for Kepler which doesn't support Wayland and reaches EOL next year?

Comment

Michael

can you or you BOT Not SPELL?

Ben Skeggs at Red Hat has long been the primary Nouveau DRM kernel driver maintainer for keeping this open-source NVIDIA GPU kernel driver within the mainline kernel going... Throughout all the battles, particularly after the GTX 900 series and later has required signed firmware images for enabling any accelerated GPU support, he's now resigning from maintaining the driver. Ben Skeggs has contributed to the Nouveau project for more than one dedace​
                its DECADE

Comment

Wasn't he the creator of nouveau as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Oh, the humanity.
                    What a sophisticated answer. Sadly it doesn't match my wayland experience but I hope the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X