Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XDC 2023 To Provide Update On AMD HDR For The Steam Deck, Rusticl & Wine Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDC 2023 To Provide Update On AMD HDR For The Steam Deck, Rusticl & Wine Wayland

Phoronix: XDC 2023 To Provide Update On AMD HDR For The Steam Deck, Rusticl & Wine Wayland

There's just under one month to go now until the X.Org Developers' Conference (XDC) returns to A Coruña, Spain for the annual development conference focused on open-source graphics drivers (Mesa), Wayland, and related Linux display/graphics infrastructure although the X.Org Server itself hasn't received much attention in recent years. Here's a look at some of the planned talks for the exciting XDC 2023...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

only one session about a new protocol. seems like wayland devs are committed to not discussing more standardization of common capabilities across compositors via extensions.

Comment

Can't wait to read here the details about each topic covered at the conference

Comment

I wish AMD and Intel would fix their drivers faster for the issues encountered by KDE, Gnome and whichever wants to implement HDR support on Linux.
        I don't expect anything from the assholes at Nvidia!
        They didn't care about Wayland and I bet they don't care about HDR either.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I wish AMD and Intel would fix their drivers faster for the issues encountered by KDE, Gnome and whichever wants to implement HDR support on Linux.
          I don't expect anything from the * at Nvidia!
          no need for profanity here.

Comment

oh, I wish I was closer so that I could participate in person..
            ​​​​​ I am curious especially about the CI/CD presentations..

Comment

Color management is hard, gamescope is pretty lucky in this regard since they don't have to worry about the task of converting many color formats to whatever the display is running. Working with color is truly some head bashing stuff.

But im really interested in how gamescope is handling it, since these are the issues they have, or may come across at some point.

HDR is even worse then just color management, because you have to worry about tonemapping too ontop of that. For instance if you have HLG content and your display only supports PQ. This isn't too hard nor expensive, but now your PQ display is only 400 nits, well the HLG content is graded for 1000 nits, Converting it to PQ1000 is *probably* fine, but you still hit edge cases where it looks like trash, so now you need to use tonemapping to convert that down to 400 nits. But wait! theres more. your game made a dialog box open up by accident, and your dumb mapping making that box super dim, maybe even to levels where you couldn't read it, so you do need to tonemap that too.

and then you have to worry about what kind of tonemapping, BT.2446a is usually fine, but sometimes it really craps the bed, BT.2390 is not very reliable, but it can look great sometimes. MPV's spline tonemapping is a pretty reliable tonemapper when using peak-detect, not sure how well that translates, etc. so many possible tonemappers (maybe we could just specfy our own filter chains in the future?)

also does gamescope have a method to take control of the display(IE. Drmlease or automatic session swapping)? or do you still need to swap to tty and manually launch game to load it?

Comment

I don't expect anything from the assholes at Nvidia!
                Don't put all the blame on the employees.
                It is highly unlikely this situation is the result of those that do the work, but more likely a "strategic" decision decided much higher in the hierarchy.

Comment

Right now AMD, Intel, and compositor developers are all working together to try and agree on a standard cross vendor API to even enable HDR in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Right now AMD, Intel, and compositor developers are all working together to try and agree on a standard cross vendor API to even enable HDR in the first place.
                    what are the issues with the current kernel implementation? I know it exists and works for DRM applications, is it one of those things that doesn't allow dynamic triggering? I know amdvlk at least works with it when using mpv.

Comment

Working...
                    X