Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 45 Released With New Apps, New Activities Indicator

Phoronix: GNOME 45 Released With New Apps, New Activities Indicator

GNOME 45 is out as stable today as the latest six-month update to this open-source desktop environment that will be powering the likes of Ubuntu 23.10 and Fedora Workstation 39...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just upgraded to Fedora 39 for the fun of it.
    Still when I connect my monitor to my laptop using HDMI, the whole desktop becomes slow and sluggish.
    Especially at 4k resolution.
    I believe this is because the HDMI port is wired up to the Nvidia (secondary) dgpu.
    And Mutter doesn't do direct rendering or import of dmabuf or something when using the blob Nvidia drivers.

Comment

The best got even better!

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        Just upgraded to Fedora 39 for the fun of it.
        Still when I connect my monitor to my laptop using HDMI, the whole desktop becomes slow and sluggish.
        Especially at 4k resolution.
        I believe this is because the HDMI port is wired up to the Nvidia (secondary) dgpu.
        And Mutter doesn't do direct rendering or import of dmabuf or something when using the blob Nvidia drivers.
        mutter do direct redering tho, nvidia do't seem to work/support in your case

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post

mutter do direct redering tho, nvidia do't seem to work/support in your case
          Yeah its really shitty.. because there are basically many laptops out there with both a primary intel/amd and secondary Nvidia gpu.
          And when any of the display connections (hdmi/dp/usb-c/whatever) is wired up to the Nvidia gpu.. shit will be slow.
          Thats kinda unacceptable for a Linux desktop in 2023.
          Gnome and Nvidia should work together to fix this.

Comment

Yeah its really shitty.. because there are basically many laptops out there with both a primary intel/amd and secondary Nvidia gpu.
            And when any of the display connections (hdmi/dp/usb-c/whatever) is wired up to the Nvidia gpu.. shit will be slow.
            Weird. Gnome and nvidia work fine on my intel laptop. Laptops are apparently still the most problematic hardware for Linux.

Comment

Expecting anything from Nvidia is a tad bit naive

Comment

Nice, can't wait to get it next month with 23.10

Comment

A new camera usage indicator located in the top bar
                  KDE should implement such a thing too!

Comment

Nice. Now we have at least 4 more dependencies (zzzz...); the build process says nothing about GNOME now requiring xdg-desktop-portal-gtk (good luck not including that in your running environment); pipewire is a hard dependency; all (!) extensions are broken because why not break the API once again; the applications startup time is even slower as unbelievable as it may sound; gnome-console is shipped in beta stage although the final release was ready before GNOME 45 release; as usual they incorrectly require many dependencies to be newer than necessary (gnome-console final release, for instance, requires gtk4 4.12.2 although it works perfectly with 4.12.1); etc; etc.

On top of that we have beautiful bugs, like:

In Files (Nautilus) if you go back one folder and double click another folder (not the one that is already selected), you don't go inside it because the first click is spent just selecting the folder.

Also in Files if you click on Properties (of a folder) it will not show the correct total size if there are hidden subfolders/files and Nautilus is set to not show hidden files/folders.

Recording video may not work and the user/distro maintainer will have zero feedback about which dependencies are missing.

Did I say performance is still terrible?​

And the list goes on and on.

Comment

Working...
                    X