AMDVLK 2023.Q3.2 Released With Quadbuffer Stereo, Quake 2 RTX Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2023.Q3.2 Released With Quadbuffer Stereo, Quake 2 RTX Optimizations

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2023.Q3.2 Released With Quadbuffer Stereo, Quake 2 RTX Optimizations

AMD used to release new AMDVLK Vulkan driver updates on a near weekly basis for Linux users but that has slowed down for a while. We are approaching the end of Q3 and now AMDVLK 2023.Q3.2 has been published as their first new open-source driver release since early August...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do find the 7800XT compelling and possibly worth trying sometime down the road, at least to give AMD GPU's another chance for the desktop, I would gladly pick one up for $180 or less three years from now.

More like 4-5 years or so to be honest and $200-$250 sounds more believable that's around the price of a 5700XT right now.

It's a shame all the high end GPU's these days need a miniature scissor lift to not warp the card slot chasis with a brace. Kind of brings in the need for horizon case chasis designs for 3 slot cards. Hell even my 3070 is massive taking up two slots.
    Last edited by creative; 24 September 2023, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      It's a shame all the high end GPU's these days need a miniature scissor lift to not warp the card slot chasis with a brace. Kind of brings in the need for horizon case chasis designs for 3 slot cards. Hell even my 3070 is massive taking up two slots.
      Indeed it is. That was one of the reasons I went for the horizontal case HAF XB EVO from Cooler Master. Although it has been discontinued, it might work for you, creative.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post

Indeed it is. That was one of the reasons I went for the horizontal case HAF XB EVO from Cooler Master. Although it has been discontinued, it might work for you, creative.
        Nah I'm good. As long as there are ATX enclosures with flat non protruding side panels one can put all cases on their sides you just have to have room for it. In fact my current build is capable of doing just that. If I did get a three slot card I most likely would lay it on its side.

There is actually not a need, more less a desired aesthetic maybe?
        Last edited by creative; 22 September 2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

i use to use a haf xb evo but after i went from my 6900 xt to my 7900 xt from powercolor, hellhound edition, i had to get a new case because the card wouldn't fit in the haf xb. it was too long. but this isn't just a amd issue. even the 4000 series from nvidia are the size of bricks.
          i ended up getting a corsair 4000d and i actually like it. its a very nice case. powercolor also included a nice anti sag bracket with the card too for support so no sagging issues.

that said, my 7900 xt might be big with an overkill cooler, but i like overkill. first card in a long time where i didn't need to mess with any fan curves because it has so much mass it stays cool. and boosts very high too.
          Last edited by pieman; 22 September 2023, 09:37 AM.

Comment

pieman Corsair makes awesome stuff. I actually recommend their lower cost stuff though. My 275Q has been great.
            Last edited by creative; 22 September 2023, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Stuck in the hospital, so can’t benchmark it on my Athlon 3050U 14nm w/2x Vega CU 😭.

Guess I’ll have to just stay tuned here for benchmarks of this against Mesa 23.2.

Lower end games like League of Legends seem to run better on AMDVLK on lower end hardware for some reason for me.

Comment

Warping cards are not a exclusive problem of triple fan monsters. I actually got to see a relatively mall dual fan card fail to boot while on the vertical. The fix was to put it in place with a wire holding it in position (closed chassis, looks didn't matter).

The old timers knew it better:

Full lengh cards on a original IBM PC.

Comment

I miss my old Thermaltake DH-101 but it was getting too cramped in there and it was impossible to have the monster CPU cooler that I have today (not sure I ever needed it too...). I regret not keeping it when I moved cities. :/

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Warping cards are not a exclusive problem of triple fan monsters. I actually got to see a relatively mall dual fan card fail to boot while on the vertical. The fix was to put it in place with a wire holding it in position (closed chassis, looks didn't matter).

The old timers knew it better:

Full lengh cards on a original IBM PC.
                    My first IBM compatible computer had a Texas Instruments 486DX2-66 with horizontal laying chasis put out by Acer. Before that my first computer experience was a Commodore 64 family PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X