Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Making It Easier To Find Or Offer "Sponsored Work"

Phoronix: KDE Making It Easier To Find Or Offer "Sponsored Work"

If you are particularly annoyed by a bug or missing feature with the KDE desktop, there's a new and easier means of advertising your interest in sponsoring work to get a bug or feature addressed. Similarly for experienced KDE developers a more centralized means of finding sponsored work opportunities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Something like that should exist for all the major Open Source projects and I'd even go further TBO.

Let's have a central sort of market place where people can post bounties for the bugs/features/software that they are interested in. So instead of sieving through multiple projects, you instead could see everything at one place. That would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Something like that should exist for all the major Open Source projects and I'd even go further TBO.

Let's have a central sort of market place where people can post bounties for the bugs/features/software that they are interested in. So instead of sieving through multiple projects, you instead could see everything at one place. That would be awesome.
      Yeah, they could improve Wayland with that.

Ooh wait. Wayland is already Feature complete. Maybe project like gimp. It has soo much potential...

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Wayland is already Feature complete.
        LMAO.

Comment

LMAO.
          Ikr, we didn't see it coming. We're already there without even noticing.

Comment

I think this is actually a great idea. Gives transparency behind why things get prioritized, and might allude to what else we should expect before it gets announced.

Comment

Here's a candidate:
              Bug 436318: Save session doesn't work under Wayland​
              Last edited by timofonic; 25 September 2023, 11:48 AM.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, that's what Bountysource did before it was sold to a cryptocurrency company and started to take unfair decisions. It allowed to associate an existing bug report to your bounty.

A quick search on Google returns similar sites, but I find them hardly trustworthy. A escrow service needs a reliable organization behind it.

This decision from KDE is very interesting to me, because they are solvent and because it's a escrow service for its own software.

Comment

While I like the idea of sponsoring bugs I fear for the informal nature of this implementation. Nothing is stopping people from not paying, or when a solution is not satisfactory it could be a cause for conflict. There also is no good way for people to pool monney together to solve a bug. There may be successs stories but I fear it being a bit of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                    While I like the idea of sponsoring bugs I fear for the informal nature of this implementation. Nothing is stopping people from not paying, or when a solution is not satisfactory it could be a cause for conflict. There also is no good way for people to pool monney together to solve a bug. There may be successs stories but I fear it being a bit of a mess.
                    I agree. I had not read the article with attention. I thought they had implemented a proper escrow system buy it's just a new category in their forums.

As you said, very likely it will turn into a source of problems, for both developers and who pay. This type of initiatives require commitment from both parties and someone who mediates in case of disagreement.

Comment

Working...
                    X