Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Continues GCC Compiler Preparations For AVX10 & APX

Phoronix: Intel Continues GCC Compiler Preparations For AVX10 & APX

Since announcing the Advanced Performance Extensions (APX) and AVX10 back in July, Intel's open-source compiler engineers have been busy preparing the GCC and LLVM/Clang compiler toolchains for these major CPU extensions to be found with future Intel processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still don't understand why Intel could not just implement simple double-pumped AVX512 on E cores and call it a day. It would have made life easier for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
      I still don't understand why Intel could not just implement simple double-pumped AVX512 on E cores and call it a day. It would have made life easier for everyone.
      because AVX512 consume huge amount of electricity, which is the opposite of what E cores were to meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

because AVX512 consume huge amount of electricity, which is the opposite of what E cores were to meant to be!
        Not the double-pumped implementation.

The only reason I can think of is they want to minimize E core size to maximize the amount of E cores per silicon surface. In other words minimizing the BOM for client platform die.

Comment

Not the double-pumped implementation.
          I think the "double-pumped" term is doublespeak. It means the opposite of what the words suggest, in this context. It would be more accurate to call it "bifurcated", "half-rate", "half-width", or "folded", but some marketing dork probably thought "double-pumped" sounded way cooler.

The only reason I can think of is they want to minimize E core size to maximize the amount of E cores per silicon surface. In other words minimizing the BOM for client platform die.

What I think it comes down to is that you can probably manage vector registers at half the size of the ISA width. Cutting them down to 1/4th becomes too big of a headache. So, essentially what it could mean for Intel is that the vector portion of their E-cores would need to be natively 256-bit, instead of 128-bit, as they could be, today. If a lot of the code out there is still 128-bit, then it's definitely less efficient to implement it @ 256-bit.

Therefore, not only is it likely to be motivated by die size, but also by efficiency on 128-bit code.

I think not so much BOM, but more about increasing the number of cores you can put on a die - either for a given a price point or just due to logistic constraints. Don't forget that Sierra Forest has 144 of these E-cores on a die!

At the end of the day, if Intel can squeeze in enough E-cores to be competitive with a smaller piece of silicon than they otherwise might've, then they would indeed get some cost savings out of it. However, you have to at least be competitive on a price/performance basis, before you can worry too much about cost savings!
          Last edited by coder; 27 September 2023, 02:58 AM.

Comment

BTW, the other half of this patchset is for APX. In my mind, that's actually more interesting. Intel claims a 10% performance improvement on scalar code.

Comment

Working...
            X