Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 23.3 Lands Initial Intel Vulkan Driver Sparse Support - Needed For Many Newer Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.3 Lands Initial Intel Vulkan Driver Sparse Support - Needed For Many Newer Games

Phoronix: Mesa 23.3 Lands Initial Intel Vulkan Driver Sparse Support - Needed For Many Newer Games

Intel engineers have merged to Mesa 23.3 the initial open-source "ANV" Vulkan driver support for sparse resources! This is the important feature needed for running a number of newer Direct3D 12 games with Steam Play (Proton) via VKD3D-Proton with Intel graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No dkms for xe hurts, I would very much like to see one when possible, also with xe, no huc really hurts, many people using DG2 wont want to use xe, so still waiting for i915

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      so still waiting for i915
      Waiting for what? There won't be sparse support for i915

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Exactly, there won't be feature parity with i915 either
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Exactly, there won't be feature parity with i915 either
          The focus should be the future not the past. Yes it sucks there isn't some niche features like HUC supported on current Arc hardware on Xe, but the important features like sparse will be, and future hardware will be fully supported on Xe.

Comment

where was that said? I know they stopped working on vm_bind in i915 to prioritize xe, but this was before intel devs knew how important it was.​ it's still a lot of work, but it's not like the devs just out right abandoned i915

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

The focus should be the future not the past. Yes it sucks there isn't some niche features like HUC supported on current Arc hardware on Xe, but the important features like sparse will be, and future hardware will be fully supported on Xe.
            there is absolutely nothing niche about huc...

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              not like the devs just out right abandoned i915
              Exactly that, don't expect any major improvements, just bugfixes.

Comment

considering they have stated multiple times that i915 is intended to be the official driver for the current gen and possibly next generation cards, I doubt its going into bugfix only mode

Comment

I would be okay with that if they didn't decide that current gen arc won't support media acceleration on Xe
                  ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
                    Yes it sucks there isn't some niche features like HUC supported on current Arc hardware on Xe
                    Niche? HUC is the main reason why most people buy Arc nowadays. There aren't probably any other valid reasons to buy it except for its media engine yet they decided to NOT support it in Xe.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                    X