Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's VTE Seeing Improvements For Faster Terminal Performance

Phoronix: GNOME's VTE Seeing Improvements For Faster Terminal Performance

GNOME developer Christian Hergert recently demonstrated how Linux terminal emulators have the potential of running much faster. At the time it didn't sound like he would pursue the matter further but more recently he's begun working on folding some performance improvements into GNOME's VTE for a faster terminal experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about input latency too?

Comment

Even slow terminals emulators feel snappy these days, but it's good to see continued effort on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Maybe you need faster hardware? Surely Ryzen 7950X3D and RTX 4090 Ti are fast enough no matter what code you throw at it?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I haven't gotten to re-working the GSource schedulers, but VTE does have different IO priorities for input vs output. I do plan to tweak that eventually, and make the drawing/layout tied to frame clock cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            [b]At the time it didn't sound like he would pursue the matter further
            I didn't plan on working on the prototype further. The goal from the beginning was always to improve VTE.

Comment

In terms of latency, VTE based terminals certainly could do better, per https://lwn.net/Articles/751763/

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post

I didn't plan on working on the prototype further. The goal from the beginning was always to improve VTE.
                Well there Mr. Duderino, thanks for dude-ing on up the speediness and latency and being a real dudebro.

Now we just need to find devs for Tilix and have a superzippy tiled terminal for GNOME instead of using Konsole which always feels out of place.

Anyway dude, you are The Dude. Keep on dudeifying!

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
                  In terms of latency, VTE based terminals certainly could do better, per https://lwn.net/Articles/751763/
                  I would love an update article like those or an addendum covering new terminal emulators too plus rerun benchmarks in vte ones and others.

Alacritty, Kitty, eDEX-UI, Simple Terminal, Tilda, ROXTerm, Eterm, LXTerminal, xfce4-terminal, Terminology, Deepin Terminal, LilyTerm, Sakura, Extraterm, DomTerm, Tabby, Rio Terminal, Zutty... and the one in Arcan.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
                    Interesting. Qt seems to have lower latency then GTK3. Another KDE win. Or you could say Kwin.

Comment

Working...
                    X