Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dav1d 1.3 Yields Lower Memory Use, More Arm NEON Optimizations

Phoronix: dav1d 1.3 Yields Lower Memory Use, More Arm NEON Optimizations

Dav1d 1.3 was released on Friday as the newest feature update to this widely-used, open-source AV1 video decoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am more interested into better performance than lower memory usage, so I hope they didn't trade performance for memory usage.
    Anyone knows how this is used by video players, let's say VLC, MPV, Kodi, do they use it directly or they use it through FFmpeg?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I am more interested into better performance than lower memory usage, so I hope they didn't trade performance for memory usage.
      Anyone knows how this is used by video players, let's say VLC, MPV, Kodi, do they use it directly or they use it through FFmpeg?
      They use dav1d via ffmpeg. There's no point in supporting dozens of codecs when you can simply link to ffmpeg.

Comment

I don't about other video players, but VLC (VideoLAN is the main participant of both project vlc and dav1d) uses it directly not through ffmpeg. It's also used by some Image decoder like libavif and libheif.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

They use dav1d via ffmpeg. There's no point in supporting dozens of codecs when you can simply link to ffmpeg.
          Originally posted by Setif View Post
          That makes sense.
          And for Kodi I think I already saw a confirmation as they said they are moving for the next version to use upstream FFmpeg.

I don't about other video players, but VLC (VideoLAN is the main participant of both project vlc and dav1d) uses it directly not through ffmpeg. It's also used by some Image decoder like libavif and libheif.
          True, probably VLC is using it directly since it's their project too and I remember people saying in the past that VLC always comes with its own demuxers / decoders embedded into it.

While I prefer software to use dependencies, in this case FFmpeg, I can't complain about VLC being so self-contained and independent as from my experience it always has done a good job.

Comment

True, probably VLC is using it directly since it's their project too and I remember people saying in the past that VLC always comes with its own demuxers / decoders embedded into it.

While I prefer software to use dependencies, in this case FFmpeg, I can't complain about VLC being so self-contained and independent as from my experience it always has done a good job.
            On Linux:
            mpv >>> VLC

On Windows:
            MPC-HC >>> VLC

I only use VLC on Android and that's only because MX Player has turned into crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

Yes and also chromium, kodi, xine libs and maybe few other too.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Yes and also chromium, kodi, xine libs and maybe few other too.
                Chromium doesn't use libdav1d. xinelib is barely used by anything nowadays. The project was dead for so long, most projects using it have switched to ffmpeg or died off themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                  xine libs
                  Wow. Now there's a name I haven't thought about in over a decade.

Comment

always nice to see dav1d perf increases. it's already ludicrously fast for what av1 is. also as a related sidenote, rav1d, the rust port of dav1d, (not a new implementation but a full port started from c2rust) has been shaping up quite nicely too

Comment

Working...
                    X