Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PreSonus Studio One 6.5 Music Production Software Adds Wayland-Only Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreSonus Studio One 6.5 Music Production Software Adds Wayland-Only Linux Support

Phoronix: PreSonus Studio One 6.5 Music Production Software Adds Wayland-Only Linux Support

At the end of September PreSonus Audio Electronics announced Studio One 6.5 as the latest version of their premium Studio One music production software / digital audio workstation (DAW). While for years Linux has had options like Ardour, Stargate, REAPER and Zrythm, for the first time the commercial Studio One has seen native Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool!
    At least they are not wasting resources for supporting something that will be replaced anyway one day with Wayland and Vulkan.
    Last edited by Danny3; 09 October 2023, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Nice! It's no Ableton, but I got a free license when I bought a pair of their Eris E5s. Definitely gonna give it a try.

Comment

Got really excited about this, registered my Presonus Audiobox Anniversary I got like a year ago, only to find out that it's a .deb package only...
        Seriously, as much as I appreciate them supporting Linux, why the hell releasing a .deb when Mixbus, Reaper and pretty much every plugin dev releasing stuff for Linux use an installer that simply puts things in /opt?

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          Got really excited about this, registered my Presonus Audiobox Anniversary I got like a year ago, only to find out that it's a .deb package only...
          Seriously, as much as I appreciate them supporting Linux, why the hell releasing a .deb when Mixbus, Reaper and pretty much every plugin dev releasing stuff for Linux use an installer that simply puts things in /opt?
          Just been working out the packaging side of Studio One because I'm interested in creating an AUR package for it. The deb just has a bunch of stuff in /opt (binary exec, some binary libs, and some assets), and then a few things in /usr (e.g. the XDG application launcher file).

It's proving to be a little hard as even though they include quite a few precompiled libraries in their /opt folder, they don't include all of the ones needed to run the applications and it seems that the ones it's looking for are older than what Arch has installed system wide (as it's probably tailored to Debian/Ubuntu). I've tried simply symlinking so that it thinks the old ones are there, but it's giving me some errors. Gonna contact support and see what they say.
          Last edited by rhysperry111; 08 October 2023, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Eh. Blegh. If anything not supporting both is hurting their sales, which might be very very small on the GNU Linux side but it all adds up.

Alienating. Well lets just all buy video cards and use desktop environments that we might not like in order to meet a company's commercial requirements for end users. I categorize this as the same thing software teams require in order to give software tech support, for instance require ubuntu as an operating system. Meanwhile outfits like LMMS offer an Appimage that's fairly distribution independent.

I guess one could say at least they are trying.
            Last edited by creative; 08 October 2023, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Great to hear, even if it's not FOSS. I wonder if it also runs well with Pipewires Jack implementation - did anyone try?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                Great to hear, even if it's not FOSS. I wonder if it also runs well with Pipewires Jack implementation - did anyone try?
                There is still a large amount of GNU Linux musicians out there that don't use pipewire, most are too busy not using it and are actually getting work done on their projects instead. I have probably spent 12 hours this weekend working on something that doesn't involve fiddling with the latest adoption fad. I have more important things to comprehend like optimizing my workflow and honing my musician skills.
                Last edited by creative; 08 October 2023, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

There is still a large amount of GNU Linux musicians out there that don't use pipewire, most are too busy not using it and are actually getting work done on their projects instead.
                  Sure - the point is that if things work fine on Pipewire then users wont need to set up Jack, now that Ubuntu ships with PW by default.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Sure - the point is that if things work fine on Pipewire then users wont need to set up Jack, now that Ubuntu ships with PW by default.
                    Sorry but it's actually the other way around. A lot of us don't even use ubuntu. Actually the DAW version of the distribution I use intentionally ships without pipewire as the default server because what has long been established is jack or pulse-jack and known to work without digging through new stuff.

Most people who do nothing but praise pipewire haven't touched a DAW in their entire life. A few have claimed they have had good luck with it for DAW work, so so very few.
                    Last edited by creative; 08 October 2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X