AMD P-State Preferred Core Support For Linux Spun Up An Eighth Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD P-State Preferred Core Support For Linux Spun Up An Eighth Time

Phoronix: AMD P-State Preferred Core Support For Linux Spun Up An Eighth Time

While the AMD P-State driver is working quite well for Ryzen systems already with the default on Linux 6.5, one of the additions we are still waiting to land is the AMD "Preferred Core" functionality. An eighth version of those patches were posted on Monday for inching this feature closer to the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope this will go into 6.7 because it should help to increase performance and battery life on single threaded tasks.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

v8 patches apply cleanly on 6.5.6

Comment

I cannot get p-state to work on Fedora. I've been fiddling but cannot, there is only 'amd_pstate_ut' in default repos.

Comment

I'm on Manjaro 6.5 with a gigabyte motherboard and a 5800x and it's still not running it default, I wonder if I have to enable something in the motherboard or update the bios which is a year old, the install is nearly 2 years old so maybe I use it as an excuse for a fresh install

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            I'm on Manjaro 6.5 with a gigabyte motherboard and a 5800x and it's still not running it default, I wonder if I have to enable something in the motherboard or update the bios which is a year old, the install is nearly 2 years old so maybe I use it as an excuse for a fresh install
            CPPC.

I also have amd_pstate=guided set in my kernel command line (holdover from the past; I need to do some Fall cleaning before Winter sets in).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

CPPC.

I also have amd_pstate=guided set in my kernel command line (holdover from the past; I need to do some Fall cleaning before Winter sets in).
              Ty I will try that

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                I cannot get p-state to work on Fedora. I've been fiddling but cannot, there is only 'amd_pstate_ut' in default repos.
                For me pstate also doesn't work at default settings on Fedora 38. I need to add amd_pstate=active to kernel command line. I use this kernel command line entry since kernel 6.3 and all works fine. I have Ryzen 7 3800XT + MSI B350M Mortar with the latest BIOS, however amd_pstate=active works fine for PC with Ryzen 5 3600 and mobile Ryzen 5 5500 too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  I really hope this will go into 6.7 because it should help to increase performance and battery life on single threaded tasks.
                  And that it doesn't require my grandmother or 4 year old daughter to fuck with the kernel command line to have it enabled.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"now thw patches" I think you meant "the"

Comment

Working...
                    X