More Patches For Next-Gen AMD GPU Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Patches For Next-Gen AMD GPU Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 6.7

Phoronix: More Patches For Next-Gen AMD GPU Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 6.7

On Friday AMD sent in another batch of feature patches that are ready for DRM-Next to in turn be upstreamed with the quickly approaching Linux 6.7 merge window. Most notable with this latest round of feature patches is enabling more next-generation graphics processor IP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael or bridgman

Do you know if AMD GPUs on Linux are getting driver-level frame generation like on Windows or is that something we'll have to hope that Wine, DXVK, or the game itself implements? For that matter, what about the rest of the Radeon technologies? I was looking over the 6700 XT supported features and everything with the word Radeon preceding it isn't available on Linux from AMD; only Image Sharpening is and it's only from 3rd party places like games and Wine's FSR.

As far as I can tell, it's basically SAM, Vulkan, Mantle, and FreeSync. Everything else on Linux comes from a 3rd party.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition
    AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution
    AMD Link
    AMD Noise Suppression
    AMD Radeon™ Super Resolution
    AMD Smart Access Memory
    VSR(4K)
    AMD Privacy View
    AMD Radeon™ Boost
    AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag
    AMD Radeon™ Image Sharpening
    AMD Enhanced Sync Technology
    AMD FreeSync™ Technology
    AMD Radeon™ Chill
    TrueAudio Next
    The Vulkan® API
    AMD Mantle API

While new GPU support is nice, having access to all the features on all the operating systems they say that they support would be just as nice.

Comment

This is what it feels like:

He's looking into the Walled Garden and considering all his decisions in life.

Comment

I don't feel very compromised in features while using my AMD GPU. Certainly not more then when having to fallback to crappy X11 because my GPU drivers are still having issues with wayland and might never be fixed at all (looking at you, nvidia legacy cards and drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Michael or bridgman

Do you know if AMD GPUs on Linux are getting driver-level frame generation like on Windows or is that something we'll have to hope that Wine, DXVK, or the game itself implements? For that matter, what about the rest of the Radeon technologies? I was looking over the 6700 XT supported features and everything with the word Radeon preceding it isn't available on Linux from AMD; only Image Sharpening is and it's only from 3rd party places like games and Wine's FSR.

As far as I can tell, it's basically SAM, Vulkan, Mantle, and FreeSync. Everything else on Linux comes from a 3rd party.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition
          AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution
          AMD Link
          AMD Noise Suppression
          AMD Radeon™ Super Resolution
          AMD Smart Access Memory
          VSR(4K)
          AMD Privacy View
          AMD Radeon™ Boost
          AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag
          AMD Radeon™ Image Sharpening
          AMD Enhanced Sync Technology
          AMD FreeSync™ Technology
          AMD Radeon™ Chill
          TrueAudio Next
          The Vulkan® API
          AMD Mantle API

While new GPU support is nice, having access to all the features on all the operating systems they say that they support would be just as nice.
          To some degree this is not possible on Linux due to the requirements of the ecosystem. For example, new vendor specific KMS attributes are not allowed. This is to provide consistency across GPU vendors and desktop environments. At lot of the other other features are core parts of mesa or X or compositors (often implemented by AMD developers), but don't contain the vendor specific branding. Resizeable BARs existed on Linux years before SAM became a thing on windows due to limitations of windows. The best place to enable a lot of the features from an architectural standpoint would be in the compositor, but there are a lot of compositors on Linux and in general, there is not a lot of appetite for vendor specific features.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

To some degree this is not possible on Linux due to the requirements of the ecosystem. For example, new vendor specific KMS attributes are not allowed. This is to provide consistency across GPU vendors and desktop environments. At lot of the other other features are core parts of mesa or X or compositors (often implemented by AMD developers), but don't contain the vendor specific branding. Resizeable BARs existed on Linux years before SAM became a thing on windows due to limitations of windows. The best place to enable a lot of the features from an architectural standpoint would be in the compositor, but there are a lot of compositors on Linux and in general, there is not a lot of appetite for vendor specific features.
            Thanks for that answer. I remember the ReBAR stuff. My previous RX 580 supported it while the rest of my system didn't since I ran Intel Westmere into 2020. The downsides of buying used and upcycling.

I hate that it seems to mostly go back to the compositor which, these days, basically means Wayland and Weston. My pipe dream, glass half full thoughts, have recently been around AMD, Valve, KDE, and wlroots and hoping that if KWin picks up wlroots for Wayland instead of NIH then perhaps wlroots will become even that much more appealing of a place to implement the various open source technologies from AMD/Radeon. It's always better when there's one good place to do things versus the proverbial XKCD 15 Standards.

Could AMD just suggest or implement similar enough features into the Wayland protocol itself? Like generic upscaling methods that just happen to do what VSR, RSR, and FSR all can do and ways to dynamically change between resolutions because the framerate sucks, Boost in everything but name?

I don't mind lying to myself when it comes to some single player ray tracing so I really hope that frame generation, AFMF, is something that can come our way.

Comment

Working...
            X