Zlib-ng 2.1.4 Brings LoongArch Port, New RISC-V & ARM Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zlib-ng 2.1.4 Brings LoongArch Port, New RISC-V & ARM Optimizations

Phoronix: Zlib-ng 2.1.4 Brings LoongArch Port, New RISC-V & ARM Optimizations

Zlib-ng 2.1.4 was released this week as the newest version of this Zlib data compression library intended for "next generation" uses. Zlib-ng continues having a lower barrier for new contributions and optimizations than the upstream Zlib repository itself to allow for it to more rapidly evolve on today's systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see zlib-ng to replace plain zlib in Debian and other OS. Given zlib compression is used in many places it could give a nice boost to many applications.
    When jpeg-turbo replaced plain jpeg the speed boost was very noticeable (e.g. browsing directories with jpeg).

Comment

speaking of riscv, have you guys seen the milk-v oasis? it looks super promissing link below but the highlights are
      • 16 Core SiFive P670 (12x P core up to 2.5GHz, 4x E core up to 1.6GHz)
      • Imagination AXT-16-512 GPU (0.5tfp32, 1tfp16, vk 1.3)
      • NPU (8 Core SiFive X280 + SOPHON TPU, up to 20 TOPs INT8)
      • Up to 64GB 128bit LPDDR5
      • hevc/vp9/av1 4kp10 60hz decode
      • 120 dollars preorder discount, 150 or so without discount
      https://community.milkv.io/t/introducing-the-milk-v-oasis-with-sg2380-a-revolutionary-risc-v-desktop-experience/780

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        I would like to see zlib-ng to replace plain zlib in Debian and other OS. Given zlib compression is used in many places it could give a nice boost to many applications.
        When jpeg-turbo replaced plain jpeg the speed boost was very noticeable (e.g. browsing directories with jpeg).

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          I would like to see zlib-ng to replace plain zlib in Debian and other OS.
          As I recall, there is a change proposal working its way through the process for Fedora 40 for such a transition.

The Fedora 40 target is important, of course, since it is expected to be the base of RHEL 10, and therefore all the various EL derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            speaking of riscv, have you guys seen the milk-v oasis? it looks super promissing link below but the highlights are
            • 16 Core SiFive P670 (12x P core up to 2.5GHz, 4x E core up to 1.6GHz)
            • Imagination AXT-16-512 GPU (0.5tfp32, 1tfp16, vk 1.3)
            • NPU (8 Core SiFive X280 + SOPHON TPU, up to 20 TOPs INT8)
            • Up to 64GB 128bit LPDDR5
            • hevc/vp9/av1 4kp10 60hz decode
            • 120 dollars preorder discount, 150 or so without discount
            https://community.milkv.io/t/introducing-the-milk-v-oasis-with-sg2380-a-revolutionary-risc-v-desktop-experience/780
            yeah it looks pretty awesome, I am thinking buying this instead of Raspberry Pi 5 due to AV1 decode, also RVV 1.0 support is big plus for me. It looks like RISC-V has lot of support from Governments (specially from big asian countries like China and India).

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

yeah it looks pretty awesome, I am thinking buying this instead of Raspberry Pi 5 due to AV1 decode, also RVV 1.0 support is big plus for me. It looks like RISC-V has lot of support from Governments (specially from big asian countries like China and India).
              im super excited for it, if they can manage the 150usd range and if the machine gets decent mesa drivers for the gpu, I might even try to sell a couple of these machines. riscv in general so far has been pretty good with getting drivers mainlined into linux (or at least trying to) I could see these machines being just overall a good budget PC

Comment

Working...
              X