Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland & X.Org Server See New Releases Due To Three More Security Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland & X.Org Server See New Releases Due To Three More Security Vulnerabilities

Phoronix: XWayland & X.Org Server See New Releases Due To Three More Security Vulnerabilities

The X.Org Server and XWayland saw new point releases today as a result of three more security vulnerabilities being disclosed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

before and to all the folks bashing X.org, previously known as XFree86 for security vulnerabilities: The Linux kernel has security vulnerabilities discovered on a daily basis, ....

Comment

Even while running GNOME with Xorg, I don't think I'll ever encounter any security issues, or would I? I mean, I don't get any phishing emails (I have hundreds of email addresses (as aliases) that tie to my single inbox and I run both NoScript in Firefox and Pi-Hole to protect myself against any malware on the Internet. Plus, I never go to sketchy sites. Of course, even if people don't go to sketchy sites, people can still get malware through malicious advertisements and that's why I took measures to secure my network and kept my software up-to-date.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Even while running GNOME with Xorg, I don't think I'll ever encounter any security issues, or would I? I mean, I don't get any phishing emails (I have hundreds of email addresses (as aliases) that tie to my single inbox and I run both NoScript in Firefox and Pi-Hole to protect myself against any malware on the Internet. Plus, I never go to sketchy sites. Of course, even if people don't go to sketchy sites, people can still get malware through malicious advertisements and that's why I took measures to secure my network and kept my software up-to-date.
        As soon as you plug into the internet or allow rules into your computer from your firewall you put your computer in the danger zone, that's the basic assumption of the internet. Everything else is just to minimize the security issues that follows by the basic assumptions (as it doesn't outright removes the danger).

Comment

It definitely sucks be be a non-Wayland user, like the Linux Mint guys!

Comment

What's funny is that someone in previous news said that Xorg is more secure than Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              It definitely sucks be be a non-Wayland user, like the Linux Mint guys!
              I love my XFCE session. Maybe it sucks for you, I have literally nothing to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix
                X.org doe not have security issues if you run it rootless
                So scraping your logins and passwords is nothing to worry about?

Comment

Great that these issues are solved.
                  XWayland needs to work well for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    before and to all the folks bashing X.org, previously known as XFree86 for security vulnerabilities: The Linux kernel has security vulnerabilities discovered on a daily basis, ....
                    And? The kernel is monstrously huge in comparison, and, handles all of the most critical aspects about the computer. That's like comparing the crime rate of Nome Alaska to New York City purely based on the amount of crimes and not based on per-capita.

Besides, there are more secure kernels out there that also depend on something like X.org for displays. Gets you to wonder if perhaps X.org is the major point of vulnerability in that case. Also, a kernel is always going to have vulnerabilities. It's virtually impossible to correct all of them. A display server has a rather narrow set of functions that could be made totally secure.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 25 October 2023, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X