Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Starts Working On Wayland For Cinnamon, Likely Not Fully Ready Until 2026

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Starts Working On Wayland For Cinnamon, Likely Not Fully Ready Until 2026

Phoronix: Linux Mint Starts Working On Wayland For Cinnamon, Likely Not Fully Ready Until 2026

Tucked away within the October 2023 monthly status updates for the Linux Mint project is word they have begun working on their Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news.

Comment

Just in time, although still lacking in some areas, the protocol is almost ready now!

Comment

Are they using wlroots?

Comment

That's great and all, but they didn't explain exactly how they work on their Wayland support. Since Muffin is based on Mutter, I assume it's based on Mutter the Wayland compositor. Since Cinnamon and Muffin are hard forks of Mutter, which receive an upstream rebase every few years, it sounds like it will lag behind upstream Mutter Wayland improvements and new features. Either that, or they'll have to do a lot of downstream work in order to keep up.

Overally I think Cinnamon is a good desktop, but imo its development method is flawed exactly because of the reliance on hard-forking and rebasing every few years, which is very time consuming for an already small team.

Comment

Outstanding! Cinnamon is my preferred DE. This future-proofing work means it can stay that way.

Comment

LOL!
              Have they finally got tired of all the security vulnerabilities and people (me included) making fun of them still not supporting Wayland?

Anyway, starting today and say that you will have a stable Wayland session in 2 years seems to me very naive.

At least if they don't take a shortcut like forking again Gnome and re-implementing the Cinnamon layout and behavior.

Comment

Ah yes, Linux Mint, the distro that always bites more that it can chew.... I also wonder why Cinnamon needs lots of work for Wayland, considering it is just a glorified fork of Gnome 3....

Comment

Ooophh

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    LOL!
                    Have they finally got tired of all the security vulnerabilities and people (me included) making fun of them still not supporting Wayland?

Anyway, starting today and say that you will have a stable Wayland session in 2 years seems to me very naive.

At least if they don't take a shortcut like forking again Gnome and re-implementing the Cinnamon layout and behavior.
                    I'll bet they are taking notes, so you should keep preaching.

Use bullet points - that always gets their attention. And be sure and write novel-length posts.

Comment

Working...
                    X