Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 "Noble Numbat" Opens For Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 "Noble Numbat" Opens For Development

The Ubuntu 24.04 codename has been revealed as "Noble Numbat" while kicking off this next development cycle that is all the more exciting due to being the next long-term support (LTS) release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let me guess... with even more Snaps?
    Why do people keep insisting into using Ubuntu or its flavors, is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Let me guess... with even more Snaps?
      Why do you even care what others are using?

Comment

Was going to post "uBuNtU BaD" but looks like someone beat me to it

Comment

Yes, snap is a big burden ... especially when this trash is used for things like browsers.
          Another thing is if 24.04 LTS will stabilize with .2 as 22.04 LTS stabilized as 22.04.02
          (i.e. with the 1st HWE release) ... a new low even for Ubuntu's track racket of realy
          bad LTS releases - while the release after LTS is typically really good.
          And just due to new HW I spotte currently another problem:
          is it the preparation for 24.04 LTS to start why currently new kernels for Ubuntu
          are no longer built (i.e. even directories are not created):
          * https://kernel.ubuntu.com/mainline/

To answer the question why Ubuntu:
          Debian rules the Linux desktop - Ubuntu uses latest kernel and mesa and has
          contracts with companies. When e.g. gaming under GNU/Linux is a point,
          one may have big problems if not testing on / writing bug reports for Ubuntu LTS releases.
          To just name one of those 'professional' fields ... cough!

Comment

Why? Maybe Just because it works? Is that really a problem? At least that has been my experience installing and using on several desktops and laptops over the last few years that I started using LUbuntu, and then KUbuntu. Also includes most of the common apps out of the box. People (like me) like that. My dad (in his 80s) doesn't know anything about snaps nor does he need to. As long as everything he tries works, he's golden. Moving him to Linux a few years ago has saved me a 'lot' of time maintenance wise over the Windoze 10 that was installed. Just last week, I upgraded his laptop from using 20.04 to 22.04. It just worked. No fixups, nothing. And for a user, what-else-is-there to be grouchy about . For my Linux desktops, SBCs (PI OS), and laptops, as long as I can run the apps I need without a fuss -- all good. Oh, on my workstation, I upgraded from 23.04 to 23.10 for fun last weekend. Same experience. 30 minutes later I was up and running. No fixups or anything. A reboot and that was it. Even the Nvidia driver did not hick-up. So .... what's not to like here? OS can do it's thing in the background, and I can run any app I need/want to run .

BTW, I started with Slack when you had to download over the phone to stack of floppies. Then moved on the redhat/fedora core/fedora. Finally landed on Mint because of LTS (got tired of installing every 6 months or so ) . Only reason I got on Ubuntu bandwagon is when I got my very first Ryzen 1600 CPU/motherboard. Mint did not support it, but the latest Ubuntu did. So not a 'die hard' Ubuntu fan here, I just found that it works and stuck with it. And of course the LTS support was the other reason to stay on it.
            Last edited by rclark; 26 October 2023, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Sorry to get sophomoric, but there's no way I can look at this codename and not think 'Noble Numbnuts'.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Sorry to get sophomoric, but there's no way I can look at this codename and not think 'Noble Numbnuts'.
                Well RDRR.

That reminds me. Back in grade school there were some kids from this family with the last name Nobles. They became the Noballs.

Noballs Numbnuts

Noballs Numbnuts. What's messed up is I don't think I have the dumbest post here. That's saying something.

Comment

It seems that Ubuntu may be slipping a bit in quality and even Jesse over at distrowatch noticed:

How often does a project release an update and tell its user not to upgrade?

It would be great if some project could bring it all together and finally release a distro that was worth buying.

Comment

Not used ubuntu in over a decade but do distro updates still break the system?

I remember that being a big pain in the early 2010's one version bump worked mostly fine but things would definitely break after 2 or 3.

At the time Debian had no such issues (still does not)

Comment

Working...
                    X