Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa's Rusticl Adds cl_khr_gl_sharing For Advancing OpenGL/OpenCL Interoperability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Rusticl Adds cl_khr_gl_sharing For Advancing OpenGL/OpenCL Interoperability

Phoronix: Mesa's Rusticl Adds cl_khr_gl_sharing For Advancing OpenGL/OpenCL Interoperability

Mesa's Rust-based OpenCL implementation "Rusticl" has added initial support for the cl_khr_gl_sharing extension for working on OpenGL and OpenCL interoperability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is very neat, because last time I checked DaVinci Resolve required this extension, and the only way to run it on AMD GPUs was to download amdgpu-pro drivers and hack around environment variables to force the program to use those libs, instead of regular mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
      This is very neat, because last time I checked DaVinci Resolve required this extension, and the only way to run it on AMD GPUs was to download amdgpu-pro drivers and hack around environment variables to force the program to use those libs, instead of regular mesa.
      Davinci works well with ROCm only, no need for close sourced driver.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

Davinci works well with ROCm only, no need for close sourced driver.
        Given the lack of support for rocm for many models of card, this seems like a win anyway.

Not to mention Vegas Pro and Handbrake; GIMP, ImageMagick, Musemage; Blender, Houdini, Realflow; PlanetExplorers, BeamNG.drive and Leela Zero should all be able to utilize this extension and benefit on ROCM-dropped or never-supported GPUs; and on Intel GPUs which have official support dating back to 11th Gen Core.. so whichever GPU came with that.
        Last edited by Eirikr1848; 05 November 2023, 01:23 AM.

Comment

i hope soon we will dont need rocm and clover should be remove from mesa

Comment

since rusticl dont work in my apu only clover and rocm stop working in vega apu

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              i hope soon we will dont need rocm and clover should be remove from mesa
              ROCm supports OpenCL/HIP/HIP RT/CUDA via translator/.
              Rusticl supports only OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Given the lack of support for rocm for many models of card, this seems like a win anyway.

Not to mention Vegas Pro and Handbrake; GIMP, ImageMagick, Musemage; Blender, Houdini, Realflow; PlanetExplorers, BeamNG.drive and Leela Zero should all be able to utilize this extension and benefit on ROCM-dropped or never-supported GPUs; and on Intel GPUs which have official support dating back to 11th Gen Core.. so whichever GPU came with that.
                ILL DaVInci Resolve is the only which benefit from adding cl_khr_gl_sharing extension.
                Blender have dropped OpenCL usage with 3.0 release.
                ILL Handbrake have dropped OpenCL usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

ILL DaVInci Resolve is the only which benefit from adding cl_khr_gl_sharing extension.
                  Blender have dropped OpenCL usage with 3.0 release.
                  ILL Handbrake have dropped OpenCL usage.
                  Well crap I guess I'm years behind when it comes to stuff I don't use! Oh well. I tried to guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

ROCm supports OpenCL/HIP/HIP RT/CUDA via translator/.
                    Rusticl supports only OpenCL.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_GPGPU
                    Thanks for the link. This page is a reminder that compute with AMD is still a fustercluck! The amount of (hardware generations and) pain I had to go through just to get a working OpenCL stack cannot be overstated. AMD makes it really hard to support it as an alternative compute vendor. Here's hoping RustiCL will solve my issues going forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X