GNOME Terminal Working To Migrate To GTK 4, VTE To Overcome 40 FPS Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Terminal Working To Migrate To GTK 4, VTE To Overcome 40 FPS Cap

Phoronix: GNOME Terminal Working To Migrate To GTK 4, VTE To Overcome 40 FPS Cap

As part of the effort to make GNOME Terminal and the VTE terminal emulator library render faster, the GNOME Terminal has been seeing more work lately in being ported over to using the GTK 4 toolkit. Additionally, the VTE terminal library has been working to overcome its long-standing 40 FPS rendering cap...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they still work on Terminal if the default one is Console? I'll never understand Gnome
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

So this will increase my FPS in CMatrix?

I let myself out.

Comment

Organize dirs to visualize that there is mess like in reality would make users happy that computers are cleaner than their feeling for xdg keywords(without plugins) only for unixers from 1922... If oh-my-zsh could have a lot of extensions and there is mime type mess(especially with zipped documents...), classic terminal cold Space emptiness mean that VR is a move where quick fingers with typing is accessibility without implementation... and pwsh is for companies, not for desktops store yet to make a living from that...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Why do they still work on Terminal if the default one is Console? I'll never understand Gnome
          There are other developers working on both projects - or at least core developers.

Gnome-terminal and gnome-console are separate projects. Terminal is a more mature design, while Console is still missing a lot of important features. Saying that something is default here is a bit inappropriate, because developers have left the distributions free to choose what they want to include by default in their systems. Some chose Console, others still Terminal.​

Comment

Since Gnome Console has been brought up, curious if others have seen it be pretty slow? Has always seemed laggy to me, and I'm running up to date (in fact pre-release at this point) Fedora Workstation. Not a huge deal, lots of terminal options out there. But figured I'd mention.

Comment

Console and Terminal both use VTE. So any improvement to VTE will benefit both projects.

Console already uses vte-gtk4, Terminal still uses vte-gtk3.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Since Gnome Console has been brought up, curious if others have seen it be pretty slow? Has always seemed laggy to me, and I'm running up to date (in fact pre-release at this point) Fedora Workstation. Not a huge deal, lots of terminal options out there. But figured I'd mention.
                You'll need VTE from git if you want to make Console fast. It will be part of GNOME 46.

Comment

What is KDE Konsole using?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    [...] I'll never understand Gnome
                    You'll do when you think of it as a community and not a company.
                    Just because some developers started a new project (Console in this case), doesn't mean others should abandon their existing work. The same is said for Geary vs Evolution, Gedit vs Text Editor.. use and work on whatever works for you

Comment

Working...
                    X